Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Custom Harley. And by "custom" I mean everything is redone.
Built off a Street Glide
S&S 107
Jims Big 5 Overdrive Trans
River Primo brute IV external belt drive
35° rake with stock FLH forks
Etc etc

It's actually a pretty pricey build that I can get for a REALLY good price. My question comes as this, a "family friend" (who owns a HD dealership) said the external belt drives are very unreliable and won't last long and the 35° rake would make it almost undrivable on the road. Then proceeded to tell me I should come in and take a look at his new Softails. Is he just trying to sell me a bike or are these legitimate concerns. It won't be a daily driver but I will be riding it quite a bit. But considering the stock rake is 31 (I think) I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a deal with the stock length forks.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Really depends on how well all the parts were put together.

Raked with stock length forks? Was the rear lowered?
And of course he is trying to sell you a bike. It`s his job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol I guess pics would help.

uploadfromtaptalk1438907706942.jpg

It does have Progressive 422 shocks and has been lowered a bit in the rear. If I don't buy it my dad probably will, just to look at in his garage lol.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Very nice looking bike.
Would have to have been lowered in the rear with the rake having lowered the front.

If you are an aggressive Rider you are probably gonna scrape.
But really do not see where you will have any handling problems at all. And with the longer wheel base it will track real straight on the slab.

Only problem I know of with an open belt is if you pick up a stone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. That's why I asked actual enthusiasts instead of a salesman.

My aggressive riding days are over. Now I'm more than happy just cruising and enjoying the ride.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
That is a lot of bike. And even at a bargain basement price I`m betting it is still a good chunk of change.
Just did`t want your eyes being bigger then your skill set.

If that is the bike that speaks to you then buy it and ride it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's true that it's a big bike especially considering the "big" sport bikes I'm used to are still 1/3 of the weight of a new Softail. I test rode a Street Bob and liked it but not as much as the Heritage Softail Classic I rode right after. Just seemed to fit me better. I'm going to ride it and see if I really enjoy it or if it seems too much of a hassle. It's my uncles bike so it's not like I HAVE to buy it right away.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No. I've been riding for about 7 years. Mainly sport bikes and standards. This would be my first Harley.
So it is your first bike! :bikerguy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes its my first "real" bike, lol. I think the thing I hated the most about sport bikes are the riders themselves or "squids". Too many people being stupid on them. I'm not a fan of 17yr old kids hopping on a 9 sec bike.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
I think the stock Rocker is 37 degree rake. Mine rides very well. That is a cool looking bike!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Junk that S&S and I'd buy it all day long. It's beautiful! Rocks aren't much of an issue with an open primary. I had one on my Softail and rocks would just leave a little indent or stick in there and you can pick them out. I never had one punch all the way through. Just don't run with baggy pants or a get-back whip on that side... Ask me how I know lol.

-Rohan

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If that bike rides the way you like it to, and looks the way you want it to, then ride it...RIDE IT!!!!!
Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I'll post up if/ when I get it.

Junk that S&S and I'd buy it all day long. It's beautiful! Rocks aren't much of an issue with an open primary. I had one on my Softail and rocks would just leave a little indent or stick in there and you can pick them out. I never had one punch all the way through. Just don't run with baggy pants or a get-back whip on that side... Ask me how I know lol.

-Rohan
Are S&S Engines junk? I thought they were pretty good. :dunno Worst case scenario if it ever goes bad I can just replace it with a stock engine that I know will last.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
No they aren't but I'd really want to know about the guy that put it all together. Maybe talk to the owners of some bikes he has built that aren't trying to sell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts