Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these do-it-yourself earplug kits, and if so did they work for you? They are only rated at 26nrr but thought I would try them out. When I molded them to my ears they fit real snug and I had to work them out the first time. After they cured fully, they don't fit as snug so they aren't doing what I expected of them. Just wondering if anyone has used this product and is satisfied with it.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I used to get moldable earplugs at the local Phamacy. Not foam, rather a neon orange clay type material. I used them when I raced. It helped with keeping wind noise out, but that was also in conjunction with a full faced helmet. I can't honestly say how well they work without the full helmet....

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
After putting supertrapps on my ultra, I found that ear plugs might be something I should look into for longer rides. I found some from the company, SureFire. They make flashlights and gear for LE/Military, etc.. they also make earpro and they do work very well.. and get this.. reasonably priced. Go to http://www.surefire.com/earpro and see if they might work for you. The models you should look for are the EP3 and EP4's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do wear a ff modular helmet and I swear that the bike is louder with the helmet on than off (and that's just sitting on it). I have been using the foam plugs and was just looking for alternatives. I followed the instructions on this kit (and it's possible that I didn't do something just right), but this product just isn't working for me. I'll check out your suggestions to see how they might work for me (in the meantime I still have my foamies). Thanks for the feedback.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,498 Posts
I have two types of foam plugs, the softer ones don't work as well as the ones that are a harder foan, more coarse, and expand to a pretty tight fit. They are old, found a case of them in the workshop when we moved in here, I like them better. I'm so used to protecting my hearing, from shooting or power tools, one day I lost one my earplugs at work and had to ride home w/o one of them, I thought the noise was almost unbearable.

These are the better ones, they say 30db

These don't seem to work nearly as well for me.. but they say 32db

These claim 33db.

I shoot a very loud rifle, and earplugs alone will leave my ears ringing after one shot,
it takes BOTH earplugs AND jet-jockey hard headphones to make that level of noise bearable,
some motorcycles are probably nearly that loud.

Damaging level is 85db, a loud bike sitting revved still is probably 125db,
at speed with wind and traffic noise, who knows, 135db cumulatively?
If so, 33db just barely does the job.

Point is get very good earplugs. I see some rated 12 db, why even bother?

:ride

1 - 5 of 5 Posts