Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
Looking for a primary cover and just don't like anything I've found. So I've decided to do a custom one. I have a plotter, so I thought about just cutting my design on that, and then trying to find an etching solution to etch it in. Then a buddy suggested an easier solution of just using the same mask and sandblasting it. I have a sandblaster as well. So I'm going to try that this weekend. My main question is, does anyone see any issue with sandblasting the primary cover? It's the stock cover on an 07 wide glide. I just want to make sure it's thick enough to hold an image without hurting it's purpose. Any thoughts?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Blast away... ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1435328273.947315.jpg
This guy carves and etches them...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet. just gotta test and make sure my mask will hold up and I'll get going. thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
You will be blasting thru the chrome plating so you will probably want to add clear coat when you are done to prevent oxidation.

A sign company may have some scrap vinyl that you can make your graphics on. That way it will stick to the cover and keep the stencil in place.

Sounds like a great project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a plotter so I'm actually going to just cut the whole stencil out of vinyl. I am going to cut 3 or so and possibly try lining them up so I make sure the sand doesn't blast through the vinyl leaving this pin holes everywhere. Good call on the clear coat though. Didn't think of that. Should I do that when the stencil is still on so it's only over the sand blasted part? Or should I take it off and clear the whole cover? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts