Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am sorta on the lookout for an abandoned custom project. Would be interested in a shovel project.

·
Smooth Operator!
121 Posts
Mike there is a reason people abandon these projects, beware. Make sure you don't have high blood pressure before starting. :rolleyes:

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya! I have built 2 abandoned projects in the past. Mostly I find people who are in over their head. They don't know how to change oil but they decided to take on building a bike thinking it is just some stuff to bolt on.

·
Smooth Operator!
121 Posts
I hear ya! I have built 2 abandoned projects in the past. Mostly I find people who are in over their head. They don't know how to change oil but they decided to take on building a bike thinking it is just some stuff to bolt on.
Boy that aint no shit, I know exactly the type your talking about.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I didn't find what I was looking for.....sounds like a U2 song. So I picked up a XS650 Yamaha. I was going to make it into a street tracker, but my bike does not lend itself to that due to some issues on this particular bike. So instead I am going to make it a bobber. I will post some pics of where I am at.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the top end tore down today. Everything looks real good, of course I won't know for sure until I mic the barrel. Not much scratching, the valves look pretty good although one exhaust is quite a bit lighter than the other. Cam and rocker arms look GREAT!.

I was going to split the bottom end and send it out to Tyson for powder coating but the rods look so good I hate to take the chance of screwing anything up. The side play limit is 2 mm and they are well within that. No perceptible big end wear. Why stretch your luck, eh?

If everything works out I will get away with a hone and rings. I am going to send the cylinder out for coating though. I want a black cylinder. This screws up my paint scheme as I wanted to be able to use the patented Gazzo Green but not as much as on the R. I was going to paint everything black and just use the green as an accent. Wont work now. Oh well, I will think of something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts