Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 FLHX

First - After pondering for a while on painting the inner fairing I have decided to leave it in it's factory state. Instead I want to change out or alter my factory guage bezels to a red colored bezel that gets as close as possible to my paint color (Ember Red Sunglo.) I haven't taken the bezels off to see if they are steel, aluminum, or plastic that's been chromed or whatever you'd put over plastic. I am aware that Kuryakyn makes bezels of different colors but they aren't metallic colors. They look more like crayon work.

Does anyone know what material they are made out of?

Second - My primary cover is chrome like most, but I don't like the hardware used to attach the cover. I don't want chrome either. I'd prefer they by black.

Does anyone know a source for black hardware for this application? I know Harley sells the chrome hardware kit for the cover but again...black.

Much appreciated.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
2012 FLHX

First - After pondering for a while on painting the inner fairing I have decided to leave it in it's factory state. Instead I want to change out or alter my factory guage bezels to a red colored bezel that gets as close as possible to my paint color (Ember Red Sunglo.) I haven't taken the bezels off to see if they are steel, aluminum, or plastic that's been chromed or whatever you'd put over plastic. I am aware that Kuryakyn makes bezels of different colors but they aren't metallic colors. They look more like crayon work.

Does anyone know what material they are made out of?

Second - My primary cover is chrome like most, but I don't like the hardware used to attach the cover. I don't want chrome either. I'd prefer they by black.

Does anyone know a source for black hardware for this application? I know Harley sells the chrome hardware kit for the cover but again...black.

Much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure they are plastic, if you have a gauge out of the bike, you could try to scratch the back side of the bezel and see what happens. If they are metal, I would be surprised.

Black hardware is gonna be tough to find/use, whether it's anodized, powder coated, painted or etc it is going to be very prone to chipping and/or cracking the finish, once the proper torque is applied to the bolt.

Anything standard black from a hardware store is going to rust, so don't go that route either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks stang. I will pull one of them off and see. I was planning on taking the front fairing cover off this weekend anyway. As to the hardware on the primary cover...what if they were anodized black? Nevermind. That would be a real pain in the ass dealing with all those tiny pieces. Not gonna do that.

If I figure this out I'll post it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Try a magnet . I would bet the house they are plastic with a chrome like finish. Does not really matter what material they are if you are planning to paint them the same color of your scoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts