Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Harley 'quick detachable' windshield for my "08" Rocker. With my height and my Danny Gray seat it is too tall. Measuring from the top of the headlight straight to my nose it indicates I need a shield height of about 16" this one is 20".It appears I need to cut about 4" off the top edge.My thoughts are to cover about a 4-5" swath along the line I need to cut with Duct tape [couple of inches either side of my intended cut line] mark my line and then using a jig saw with a medium tooth blade like 14TPI or so] slowly cut along the line.I will lay the windshield on something like an old blanket and have my brother to help hold it while I cut.I figure then I can use sanding blocks /palm sander etc. to smooth and hopefully polish the cut line back up.Does anyone see any major problems...things I have over looked ? Any better ideas ?
Thanks........Colt.45

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
That sounds like it should work fine. Not sure if a finer tooth blade would be better or not. I cut my windshield down but I have a SG and I cut the part that goes into the fairing so neatness was not a consideration much. Just don't try to get in a hurry and watch for your blade getting heated up.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Have you already made sure that this will bolt up to your rocker? No sense going though all that work just to find out it will not bolt up. If it does bolt up your procedure sounds like it will work, just make sure you take your time and draw out a nice curve transition. If by chance you screw it up, Long ride shields has a replacement shield that can be bought for about $50 to $55 delivered with the 60% promo code.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I don't know what the measure from top of headlight has to do with windshield height, but many agree that the top of the shield should be even with your moustache area when you are sitting on the bike.
Your cutting procedure is good. Sand or file smooth.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Use painters tape instead of duct tape. Don't want to leave any residue

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
when i used to cut lexan we used a zero kerf blade - basicly use a blade with as little offset as possible

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere of Mongo's. He posted up pics and everything. Let me see if I can find it.

BTW, painter's tape will remove the protective coating on the windshield so I wouldn't use it. Mongo found that out the hard way.

-Rohan

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've done it myself and I wish I had Mongo's instructions before hand. Mine turned out fine...but the Mongo way is better. Interestingly, I used the blue painters tape and it caused no issues on my factory HD windshield.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys,thanks for all the advice help,words of wisdom. Great tip on Not using any tape on shield.
Rohan, I read it all thanks for posting.
rosconey..........I'll see if I can find a blade like that.
Breeze3at........just a convenient way to measure as the shield can't go any lower than the top of headlight. So if I make it mustache height with it right at top of headlight it should be perfect and if need be I could raise it up an inch or so still.
fatcat........same thing crossed my mind as well........I will test fit it before I do any cutting although it was sold as 'for a Rocker'.I'll also check their web site.
Thank you all.........Colt.45

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long Rides.....

fatcat
I went on Long Rides site, they do not seem to offer anything for my FXCW Rocker but I e-mailed them so hopefully they do make one.
Thanks again........Colt.45

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
I can't wait to see how it turns out. Fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sarah,mine too. It will be a little while though as it's cold here [unheated garage] and my brother won't be off again till next Sunday to help. But I will post how it goes.
Btw........8"+ of snow and still coming down........so please take a lil ride for me.....ok?
Colt.45

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Thanks Sarah,mine too. It will be a little while though as it's cold here [unheated garage] and my brother won't be off again till next Sunday to help. But I will post how it goes.
Btw........8"+ of snow and still coming down........so please take a lil ride for me.....ok?
Colt.45
Unheated garage? How about the kitchen? 8" of snow...no thank you! That's why I left the east coast. :thumbsup I'm leaving in a few minutes to take a little ride. I'll be thinking of ya! :strum headed to the Guitar Center.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have cut quite a few windshields. You can use another windshield to trace the top contour on the windshield that you are going to cut. Or you can use a compass to scribe the contour.

I use blue painters tape instead of duct tape. Shaping and polishing later can be done by hand sandpaper and a sanding block or with a finish sander, if you are careful. One of my neighbors made a jig and used his router to do the finish cut. It was factory perfect afterwards. It's a lot of work to make a jig for just one windshield.

I have used both jigsaws and bandsaws. I think that the jigsaw is easier to control. The Bosch T101A jigsaw blade is designed to cut plexiglass. You want a blade that can cut quickly enough that it does not overheat the material. Sometimes super-fine blades will create enough friction to actually melt the plastic. Blades that are too coarse can chip the material.

Pete

I bought a used Harley 'quick detachable' windshield for my "08" Rocker. With my height and my Danny Gray seat it is too tall. Measuring from the top of the headlight straight to my nose it indicates I need a shield height of about 16" this one is 20".It appears I need to cut about 4" off the top edge.My thoughts are to cover about a 4-5" swath along the line I need to cut with Duct tape [couple of inches either side of my intended cut line] mark my line and then using a jig saw with a medium tooth blade like 14TPI or so] slowly cut along the line.I will lay the windshield on something like an old blanket and have my brother to help hold it while I cut.I figure then I can use sanding blocks /palm sander etc. to smooth and hopefully polish the cut line back up.Does anyone see any major problems...things I have over looked ? Any better ideas ?
Thanks........Colt.45

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cut my Dyna windshield using painters tape and a fine jigsaw blade. Just did the headlight opening so the new 7" light would fit. Came out nice. When I got my new Road King I needed 2 " cut off the top. Thought about doing it myself but a local glass place did it for $25 . Wasn't worth taking the chance doing it myself.. They did a great job,looks like it came from the factory that way. Can't hurt to ask glass places in your area.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fxdc4me
First place I went was a glass pl;ace........they wouldn
't even polish it out for me.....:mad
Colt.45

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rosconey
A "What"? HaHaHa.............my town is 265 people,nearest big town is about 6,000...they have a glass shop but will not mess with my 'plastic' shield.:) The bad thing about small towns I guess.
Thanks anyhow though.

Pete
Yep I'll use a jig saw with something like a 14TPI blade I think.

Colt.45

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i did the wife fb lo windshield. made a template to follow the contour of top then moved down and traced contour on the painters taped shield. now heres the part most will cringe....... i used my 4" grider to trim shield to about a 1/16" of my line then finished contouring with a palm sander. turned out great. nervous as hell while doing it buy end results made it worth while.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts