Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through T~S`s carb.
Double and triple checked everything. Re-jetted. All new gaskets and diaphragms.

Did not disassemble the return spring or butterfly/throttle shaft.
Did not touch the float. But doubt that has anything to do with the problem.

But must having something wrong.
Not back on the bike yet. The throttle binds badly both opening and closing.
Disconnected the accelerator pump. No change.

Before I pull it apart again looking for thoughts.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
check to see if you have the cables wrong, First time I done mine I got the cables backwards. I mark them now before taking apart. The cable with the spring should be longer and goes on the inside of the mount/cable holder.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Big worm. But the carb is not back on the bike yet.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
OH, well I don't know what the problem is unless something in the top diaphragm isn't right. I know when I went back together with mine, I had the plastic piece the needle goes in backwards and played hell getting the top cover back on. So i flipped the piece over and the spring sat down inside and things went back together easily.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`m thinking my problem is in that area. But had no problem with what I thought was final assembly.

I just hate tearing things down repeatedly without fixing them. Or at least having a clue what I am looking for.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
I`m thinking my problem is in that area. But had no problem with what I thought was final assembly.

I just hate tearing things down repeatedly without fixing them. Or at least having a clue what I am looking for.

Not a ton of pieces... Maybe that missing washer is lodged in there somewhere...?

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The throttle linkage binds on a bench test, no cables attached ?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a ton of pieces... Maybe that missing washer is lodged in there somewhere...?
Always a chance.
Have totally inspected the exterior. Focusing on the large tension/return spring.
The missing washer was my exact thought.

Looks like pulling the top cover off is my next and only obvious option.
Then double check the order I reinstalled the vacuum piston, spring seat, and spring.
All while keeping a close watch for the washer.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Dude there are tons of diagrams out there for CV carbs ! Look for Dave 63s posts for CV rebuilds.
If the linkage for your carb is hanging now something ain't right.
Got some pics ?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Used Dave`s posts as well as the instructions from CV Performance when doing the rebuild.

No pics of it disassembled. Am almost positive everything is put back right.
But obviously not.

Starting to wonder if the Berryman/Chem-Dip carburetor and parts cleaner I soaked the main body in did not hurt the nylon(?) bushings on the butterfly shaft.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Oh ! Well you did something there I never tried ! The Chem-Dip ! I just don't know about that !

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read all the info on it. Supposed to be safe on all carb parts.
Now I am starting to worry.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh no....bang head....

Can you articulate things as you take parts off?
Might help narrow down the problem.
Only really moveable external part is the butterfly shaft.
And the rod connecting to the accelerator pump.
I had disconnected it to rule it out.

Will pull the top off tomorrow to check the internals.
But they are about as simple as the externals.

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
So its the butterfly that is binding, not the slide?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So its the butterfly that is binding, not the slide?
Can not say for sure. Will probably pull it back apart tomorrow.
Slightly loosened the screws holding the butterfly to the shaft. Then worked the throttle in case it had somehow become slightly misaligned.
No change.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One other thing.
If it were the shaft bushings. I would think there would be play in the shaft itself.
There is none. Np, down, or side to side.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
on mine it was the link from the butterfly to the pump it was hanging on that just a bit might try disconnect the pump rod and try it if it turns free then that the problem . the only other thing i can say is the buttery fly shaft is tweeked and or bent did you pull the buttery fly out and if you did check that maybe when you put it back together it tweeked it a bit try loosen the screws them open an close it.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
on mine it was the link from the butterfly to the pump it was hanging on that just a bit might try disconnect the pump rod and try it if it turns free then that the problem .
Been there done that.

...the only other thing i can say is the buttery fly shaft is tweeked and or bent
Shaft should not be tweaked. No problem before the rebuild. Carb has not been dropped.

did you pull the buttery fly out and if you did check that maybe when you put it back together it tweeked it a bit try loosen the screws them open an close it.
Been there done that too.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts