Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing a damaged carb. Can anyone tell me why the cv carb I just bought via ebay has no drain tube or screw on the bowl? I wanted the newer model and therefore theoretically less wear on it, so I opted for a 99 model and didn't let the lack of a drain affect my decision. The usual locations are just solid, never ported. What's up with that? Thanks.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
Could be dead wrong as its been about 6 years. But I think the non drain CV is from a stock 1200.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
My not so reliable mind is going the opposite way of Got Gold. My Sportster had a bowl drain screw and hose, my Dyna did not. I used the jet access nut to drain it (messy).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see it as an issue but It's gonna bug me till I get some reasoning for it. It just don't make sense that some do and some don't because it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the year of manufacture. If the old bowl matches up I'll throw it on, just to have that feature. Not sure what it's pulled from but it's going on a XLH 1200 custom.
By the way, if there's any Ca. folks here that happened to install an emissions port on one of these I'd love to here about it. Kinda useless in my opinion but the owner of the bike it's going on would like to see it as it were. I see no reason not to drill and install it like a second gas port with about a 1/8 through hole to the wind tunnel.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i just got a carb with the drain line . my original did not have one. i believe they are only on certain years the carb i got is an 1996 the one on my scoot is 04. i like the drain line . it will tell me when the float sticks open

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just got a carb with the drain line . my original did not have one. i believe they are only on certain years the carb i got is an 1996 the one on my scoot is 04. i like the drain line . it will tell me when the float sticks open
Same here. I see it as an enhancement, not a hindrance. I prefer to have the option of easily draining the bowl, also I can check my fuel level by attaching a clear hose with the end in the air. Still one would expect reasoning for it though and I thought I'd play it safe and ask around before doing what I do.
Thanks for the input people.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i believe all the carb bodys are the same ecept for opening. but i still like the drain line. more of an old school look that im after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Terr,
I know this is a bit off topic, but the carb on the left (with orange backdrop) what year & make is that carb for. I have that exact one on a '95 sportster 883 i just bought. I can't figure out what that black inlet/outlet fitting is for - there's no line connected to it. I'm assuming it's the emissions port you've been talking about. Did you connect your emission port or did you put a vacuum plug on it? Just trying to figure out what to do with that fitting. Thanks.
My replacement on the right without emissions port and another carb with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Terr,
I know this is a bit off topic, but the carb on the left (with orange backdrop) what year & make is that carb for. I have that exact one on a '95 sportster 883 i just bought. I can't figure out what that black inlet/outlet fitting is for - there's no line connected to it. I'm assuming it's the emissions port you've been talking about. Did you connect your emission port or did you put a vacuum plug on it? Just trying to figure out what to do with that fitting. Thanks.
I’m wondering same thing on my 95 think it doesn’t connect to anything but just acts as an exit for overflow in bowl idk tho no pro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts