Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal.. My dad passed away about 4 years ago and left his prize possession harley to my sister. It's too big for her and she has talked to me about selling it to me. (Kinda bogus right? Lol) but I'm willing to buy it. It's a 1995 dyna wide glide 1340cc. And I've grown up with this bike. But it has been sitting for a few years. How much repair will it need? And do y'all think that's too big of a bike to start on? I am a bigger boy about the size my dad was (18y/o 6' and 240) Thanks in advance.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
It has sat for 4 years?
Change all the fluids. Gas included. Would suggest running some Seafoam through with your next tankful.
This may or may not solve any gumming up of the carb from setting.
Battery is probably dead. May be beyond recharging.

Check all lines for dry rot, cracking.
Inspect the tires for the same. As well as tread depth. Tire air pressure.
If anything else is needed you are really only going to know by riding it.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Josh, If you have not done so, introduce yourself, where you live will be great, some folks here go out of their place to help others. You might have to spend some money to get the bike in shape, but that's the Harley world. Anything, you are a post or two away. Welcome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a newer rider I would suggest participating in the HD Rider Academy. It was great and we'll worth the money. They out you on the new Street which is better to learn on than the tiny bikes other classes use. Since I took the class I haven't had a single problem with my Street Bob. Enjoy the bike!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
I'm 19 myself and the first Harley I ever rode was my dad's 07 dyna low rider. You'll be ok, especially at your size (I'm 6' 220) on that wide glide. Get new tires for it, change ALL the fluids and take a motorcycle safety foundation course. Beyond that so long as your careful and take your time learning you won't drop the bike. It took me 3 years until I dropped mine and I barely even tipped it over. If you go into it buying stuff to protect it from a fall your just asking for one... Imo.

Obviously others and you may disagree but that's my. 02

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I was 18 on a softail custom. I was a scrawny 180 so you'll be fine.

The engine guard is not s bad idea. I almost dropped mine but people were there to help me get it standing before I let it go down hard.

TS's advice was good but you sounded like you had it under control. I think you'll fit in here rather well!

Welcome, I'm 21 from western Ohio. Where are you from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, all the ideas have been great. But a little background of me- I live in southern IL right across the river from St. Louis, I've taken all my safety courses and have my motorcycle license but had no idea about the harley safety class. Will definitely be looking into that. I've always been around bikes and the people so I feel at home in this community, thanks for the warm welcome

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Another .02 from me, most of us have dropped a bike before, it's a learning experience. If you have taken the bike courses, try the experienced riders course. It's just like the initial course, but is all done in the field as a refresher. I took mine after dropping my bike twice in parking areas in one week. Lost all my confidence and was fighting the bike instead of riding it. The safety class I took was group discussion and everyone will tell you what they saw wrong. And they saw plenty from me. Did it help me, hell yeah! Will I re-take it again? Definitely.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another .02 from me, most of us have dropped a bike before, it's a learning experience. If you have taken the bike courses, try the experienced riders course. It's just like the initial course, but is all done in the field as a refresher. I took mine after dropping my bike twice in parking areas in one week. Lost all my confidence and was fighting the bike instead of riding it. The safety class I took was group discussion and everyone will tell you what they saw wrong. And they saw plenty from me. Did it help me, hell yeah! Will I re-take it again? Definitely.
Wow now that's some great advice. :thumbsup

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Is the bike right for you? Well here's my experience. I started riding at age 50, never rode a bike before, took the MSF class with the Mrs, who I bought a sporty for. She dropped the class, I stayed with it. Loved it!! Rode as much as possible. Three years ago spotted a Road King calling my name, bought it, trailered it home (was in the dead of winter). Went through that bike front to back. I ride an average of 7K per season, double what I rode on the sporty.. everyone kept saying the King was a heavy bike, too much etc etc. I didn't care, its what I wanted, never been happier. My point is, if thats the bike you want to ride, take the necessary precautions and do the maint necessary and ride it. I am 57 now, and yes I belong to the dropped bike club.

·
Lost and Confused
106 Posts
Looks like you got all basics covered.

Do like others recommended, make sure all the safety items on the bike are good to go and ride that bad boy.:biking:

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies, all the ideas have been great. But a little background of me- I live in southern IL right across the river from St. Louis, I've taken all my safety courses and have my motorcycle license but had no idea about the harley safety class. Will definitely be looking into that. I've always been around bikes and the people so I feel at home in this community, thanks for the warm welcome
Josh, you are lucky to be where you are. Some of the guys posting here are from Illinois, sure someone can give you a hand with a safety once over or finding good deals on parts and good mechs that won't break your pocket.

Wow now that's some great advice. :thumbsup
That's what we are here for!

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
If you've taken the MSF course, there's no reason to take the Rider's Edge, it's really just the MSF basic course with a Harley sales pitch attached.

I'll second the suggestion of enrolling in the MSF experienced rider course. You'll need to provide your own bike for that one, so you will want to wait until you have any issues with this bike squared away, and use it for the course.

·
Señor Member
19,872 Posts
Welcome. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts