Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He won't be happy until he gets his green canvas sling.
  • LRB Receiver
  • Custom Match Douglas Barrel
  • Reconditioned GI Everything Else
  • Modified Bolt (to prevent Slam Fires)
  • Lapped Barrel, Receiver and Bolt Face
  • Dummy Selector Switch
  • Bayonet Lug (Eff Yuu, Hillary!)
The following is cut-and-pasted from an e-mail from Roland Beaver:

I have provided a Douglas premium match grade barrel that I machined from a blank and it is not chrome lined. The nature of the process is such that plating inside the bore is somewhat irregular and generally detrimental to accuracy. This trade off was known and accepted by the military due to the corrosion resistance in a jungle environment, etc.. There are other undesirable aspects to chrome lined barrels as well, so I advise against them unless it is known that the rifle will be exposed long term to a corrosive environment such as in a jungle, or aboard a boat, etc. The forward part of the barrel between gas cylinder and flash hider is engraved "Old Corps Weaponry".

In the interest of maximum quality control I machine my own barrels from highest quality blanks; and carve many of my own stocks from planks of walnut or laminate. I could have used a cheaper barrel (Criterion, etc.) that likely would have been suitable for this project, but I chose to upgrade to one of my barrels so this rifle would be entirely worthy of bearing my trade name. My rifles are collectables in their own right, often selling on secondary markets for substantially more than I charged to build them.

It gives me special pleasure to build a rifle for an Old Marine, such as your father, in view of his history of service and his current interest in passing on elements of this heritage to his descendants. I have built many rifles that have become family heirlooms that will outlast us all---if we can keep the politicians at bay. I am particularly pleased with the prospect of having my son join me soon and carry on with this work after I am unable to perform it.

I built several high quality match grade M14 rifles for an Army officer who acquired them "back channel" for use in units under his command that were used in Panama, Iraq, and Afghanistan as sniper rifles. He was a Lt. Colonel when he first approached me and is in the process of retiring as a Major General. He made several personal visits and phoned me frequently for updates on rifles I was building and gave me updates on his personal involvements and outlook on the wars. He once called me on his satellite phone from a rooftop in Fallujia where he was inspecting a sniper position; and again from a mountainside in Afghanistan. On that occasion he remarked that "it is starting to cool down over here", and went on to remark that it was 27 below at morning report. We've had many interesting conversations over the years, going all the way back to his involvement in Vietnam. I was pleased to have had opportunity to make that small contribution to the war efforts.

In another offbeat project I built a custom model 70 Winchester sniper rifle to duplicate the one used by famed Marine sniper, Carlos Hathcock, in Vietnam. A retired Marine Colonel, who has become a close friend, commissioned that project. It was built to commemorate the time that, as a young Platoon leader, his unit was completely cut off by large elements of regular NVA and desperately clung to a toehold on a hilltop throughout the night. A number of Marines were KIA and almost all were wounded. At first light a helicopter darted through the enemy fire and disembarked three snipers ("Carlos' Boys"). These three delivered such effective fire that the enemy withdrew after sustaining terrible losses. Helicopters then returned and flew out the dead and most seriously wounded whereupon the few able bodied and wounded who were able marched off the hill in good order and marched back to their home base. He has made arrangements for that rifle to go to the Marine Corps Museum upon his demise.

Attachments

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
:thumbsup He'll love it!

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Awesome rifle. I had a Ruger Mini 14 chambered in 5.56. It wasn't a real deal full blown battle rifle like the original M 14, but it was a great little rifle. I was planning on getting a Mini 30, chambered for 7.62 but the BATF had other ideas. Once again sounds like a great rifle and will make a priceless heirloom. I know your Dad will be stoked!:)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I love mine. Shot it for several years at Camp Perry until I broke down and went over to the dark side, lol.

City, buy that man a good USMC style leather sling for it. Creedmoresports.com has some good ones.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love mine. Shot it for several years at Camp Perry until I broke down and went over to the dark side, lol.

City, buy that man a good USMC style leather sling for it. Creedmoresports.com has some good ones.
Honest-to-God I really meant it when I said he wants a green canvas sling. His goal is to have the rifle he carried in Vietnam in 1965-1966.

I asked him if he wants some K rats left over from WWII and some yellow Chesterfields too. According to Dad, "Real Marines don't smoke filtered cigarettes."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts