Harley Davidson Forums banner

Dairyland insurance?

5K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  kc5gxc 
#1 ·
Well GEICO decided I have been with them long enough and they jacked up my rates because "rates went up as a state in Texas". Got a dairyland quote through AAA. Any opinions? It would be dairyland on the HD and AAA on everything else

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
I had them years ago and they were fine when I totaled my bike. Can't remember the exact details since I have CRS, but I remember a fast settlement.

#3 ·
I had Dairyland for one day. To explain: No bike for many years, got one in '09. Called State Farm to insure as we had SF for everything else. Got the SF bill and it looked high, called Geico and they were about 1/2 of SF so switched to Geico. Later in year truck insurance came due with SF, called Geico and they were a bit lower so switched truck to Geico also. Couple of years later Geico pissed me off (long story) so I called Dairyland and they were just a few bucks cheaper than Geico so I switched to Dairyland. But...., when I talked to Dairyland about cage insurance I found out they ONLY write "high risk" coverage for cages meaning LOW coverage amounts and VERY HIGH premiums. Couldn't do that. Checked again with SF and now SF is competitive so went back to SF and since we again have all insurance with SF the "bundling" is worthwhile. And they suggested lowering my liability coverages cause our umbrella policy will pick up if we topped out on auto/bike liability amounts.

#7 ·
Maybe I'm dating myself. When I was in the military I had a bad driving record and Dairyland was the only underwriter that would touch me....and it wasn't cheap.

#8 ·
I've had Dairyland for a couple of years on our bikes. Originally had Progressive coverage but their price on bikes was way too high. After much research I switched to Dairyland and have been very pleased. We've made 3 claims, 2 within weeks of each other, and had great experiences every time. Quick adjuster inspection and payout. No quibbles, no problems. In fact the claims agent found coverage for things I had forgotten about, like trip interruption expenses. Will highly recommend them to anyone.

#9 ·
I have had State Farm since I was 16 for cars and bikes. Beat HD, Geico and Progessive on pricing...
Wife had a parking lot light pole try to commit suicide by jumping in front of her and then a ticket for running a red light downtown all in 6 months and they did not jack or drop us... She had a few tough months...

#10 ·
I had Dairyland back in the early '80s when I was 18 or 19, drove a Corvette, and had several tickets on my record. The only thing I remember was the insurance cost more than my car payment.

#11 ·
I recently switched from Progressive to Geico. Progressive jacked my rate 20% so I went shopping. My bill now is less than I was paying previously.

One thing I have learned about any type of auto insurance is it pays to shop around every couple/few years.

I have Erie for all my other insurance. They quoted me double what Progressive was. They just don't like bikes period.

One thing to keep in mind is the service you get when you actually need the insurance. I've had several car insurance companies over the years, and I have had decent service from all of them except for one. Allstate. Never again will they ever see another dime of mine.

#15 ·
I attempt to swap insurance companies every year, but my rates with Farm Bureau of Mo keep dropping, the only vehicle that seems high is the wife's Rebel which costs as much for liability as full coverage on my truck, but I've tried and switching will be more expensive overall...

Did use dairyland when I was in the service, only paid insurance 9 months of the year, covered for 12 because they assumed you didn't ride in the winter. It was cheap to.

#21 ·
Funny thing. I have been with State Farm for ages with all of my insurance and I decided to shop it this year. I was able to save a ton of cash on all of my policies except my motorcycles. I shopped all over for my Limited and Sporty and they proved to be much less.

#22 ·
I have Dairyland for my bikes and have had many times over the years. I currently am filing a claim which they paid very quickly. I check and I suggest everyone checks rates each time the policy is to expire. I go with the lowest rate. They are almost always the least expensive for me, they were one of the few who would insure my chopper and a great rate. So far they have been great for me. However everone is different with different circumstances, shop around.

#28 ·
I'm a little older and use AARP which is Foremost. I only paid $178 just this past week for a whole year. I have gotten quotes this year from GEICO and Harley's and they were more than double Foremost. I have a 2012 XL 1200 Custom and my rate has been within $10 for the third year in a row.

#30 ·
I have a friend that is an insurance actuary one that does studies to determine what rates should be in particular areas. One of the things he told me is people with lousy credit ratings and low income will pay higher premiums based on the sole fact that they file more ridiculous claims. People with more dough will usually just go out and replace that broken mirror or bent foot peg without filing a claim. So it is not always about your driving record but more your zip code. Although a ticket or two will definitely affect the rate, also.

#31 ·
A few states have banded that practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.