Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The work day ended on a bad note, I got a 4:45PM notification from a customer that I got beat on an $80M contract bid by less than 1%. I shut down everything for the day thought that I was OK with it. I hopped on the UC to head back to my hotel and as I rounded the corner was accelerating away from light one block away from the office, a cage coming the other direction turned left right in front of me then stopped in my lane, i laid on the horn and he saw me then hit the gas and got out of my way. I was pissed off enough about that and followed him with my eyes giving him the "eff you" stare that I didn't even notice that the light up ahead had turned red and the cars in front of me were stopped dead in my lane (his stopping had blocked my view of the lane ahead) and there was no way I was going to stop in time to avoid eating the car in front of me. I jammed on the brakes, checked my mirror and (luckily) saw that the lane to the left of me had a gap big enough for me to get into. The back wheel had locked up and I began to slide sideways, I used that slide to get a real quick hop into the other lane and finally came to a stop in the left lane about two cars ahead of where the last car was stopped in the original lane. I was going fast enough that I would have eaten the back of that Grand Cherokee really hard...

I pulled into the grocery store parking lot across the street and took a few seconds to review what went wrong. First and foremost, I realized that my bad news at the end of the day hasn't worn off year and I was driving pissed. Second, I was so focused on letting the jack wagon that cut me off know I didn't like what he did, I failed to look at the next danger once I realized and took evasive action in response to the first incident.

Lesson learned, STAY FOCUSED on your surroundings all the time. And make sure that you have your emotions in check before getting on your scooter. Second, you aren't going to teach the other driver anything, so once he is avoided, get back to watching what's coming. Leave him behind you, you gain nothing by trying to "let 'em have it".

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Glad you did not eat the car in front of you, it could have been really bad. Thanks for posting, all good reminders to keep our head in the game at all times. We can't let other distractions cloud our judgement and vision of the environment around us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
OMG!! Anytime I can inhale a lesson without exhaling teeth, it's a good day! Sounds like your lesson didn't cost you anything. Congratulations! Sounds like some nice riding also to keep from eating a "Grand Cherokee sandwich". great post.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
Anytime you get a good lesson without sacrificng skin, blood, or paint is a good thing. Glad you're unharmed.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Remember: You're flying an airplane. There's almost zero room for error.

Glad you're an experienced pilot and were able to negotiate the situation to your benefit!!

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
That is a good lesson for us all. I'm glad it turned out ok. I've caught myself getting infuriated over a cager and in the end, it wasn't worth it. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Agree, stay focused and keep emotions in check. Last year my wife and I were at an event. Decided to trailer the bike, first time trailering, we usualy ride. Anyhow things were not going that well, before the ride. Bike was still in trl. I was pretty angry of her actions, so I decided the heck with riding that day. Left the bike in the trl. went back to the hotel and sat and watched the ocean and drank a few. The day was not a total loss, but I was upset not riding that day. She was upset to ,but I said no way I was riding being pissed off. My two cents. Don't remember what caused this but may have been nagging, LOL.

·
DILLIGAF
691 Posts
the work day ended on a bad note, i got a 4:45pm notification from a customer that i got beat on an $80m contract bid by less than 1%. I shut down everything for the day thought that i was ok with it. I hopped on the uc to head back to my hotel and as i rounded the corner was accelerating away from light one block away from the office, a cage coming the other direction turned left right in front of me then stopped in my lane, i laid on the horn and he saw me then hit the gas and got out of my way. I was pissed off enough about that and followed him with my eyes giving him the "eff you" stare that i didn't even notice that the light up ahead had turned red and the cars in front of me were stopped dead in my lane (his stopping had blocked my view of the lane ahead) and there was no way i was going to stop in time to avoid eating the car in front of me. I jammed on the brakes, checked my mirror and (luckily) saw that the lane to the left of me had a gap big enough for me to get into. The back wheel had locked up and i began to slide sideways, i used that slide to get a real quick hop into the other lane and finally came to a stop in the left lane about two cars ahead of where the last car was stopped in the original lane. I was going fast enough that i would have eaten the back of that grand cherokee really hard...

I pulled into the grocery store parking lot across the street and took a few seconds to review what went wrong. First and foremost, i realized that my bad news at the end of the day hasn't worn off year and i was driving pissed. Second, i was so focused on letting the jack wagon that cut me off know i didn't like what he did, i failed to look at the next danger once i realized and took evasive action in response to the first incident.

Lesson learned, stay focused on your surroundings all the time. And make sure that you have your emotions in check before getting on your scooter. Second, you aren't going to teach the other driver anything, so once he is avoided, get back to watching what's coming. Leave him behind you, you gain nothing by trying to "let 'em have it".

sent from motorcycle.com app

the lesson of the day for all !!!!!! Be safe on the roads my friends!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad all you got was a lesson and some jitters. Safe riding cause I'm looking forward to meeting in August.:biker:

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Glad your okay to tell the tale and bring it here to educate us.. thank you. Its so easy to be someplace else, but we all know ya can't do that on a bike.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks, nipplesurfer's tag line seems to ring very true here, perhaps my purpose in life here was to serve as a warning to others.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Thanks folks, nipplesurfer's tag line seems to ring very true here, perhaps my purpose in life here was to serve as a warning to others.
If one shared story saves a biker, even when we know what we did wrong.. I'm good with telling a tale.
@2010Ultra... good advice, I got that from here, I do believe it kept me out of trouble on my way up to Wis. Got it here from someone's story

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts

:laugh. Glad you came out clean!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts