Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it does but it's hard as a mofo, and really pissing me off... While in first I try to put into N and it just skips to the next gear, then I shift down and go right past N again, sometimes I have to turn off bike just to get in N!! What can I do to fix this?

·
Just Ride
3,109 Posts
What you using in trans and primary for fluids. Also last clutch adjustment?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
some days my old sportster does that same thing, some days it slips right into N. I just figured it was me messing up.

·
Señor Member
19,658 Posts
Try letting the clutch out until you feel the urge to roll forward and then try again. Also, try a SLIGHTLY different rpm.

Is the bike new to you? Every trans has a different personality and takes a little feel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well it does but it's hard as a mofo, and really pissing me off... While in first I try to put into N and it just skips to the next gear, then I shift down and go right past N again, sometimes I have to turn off bike just to get in N!! What can I do to fix this?
I had the same issue on my 13 SG and my 13 BO, all it took was a little adjustment on the clutch cable to fix it.

·
Certified HD Mech.
30 Posts
Use high-end synthetic transmission fluid. 6-speeds have very fine spacing between internal gears and shifting fork... common complaint. No real good solution other than fluid. Clutch adjustments will not affect the gear tolerances. However with time the spacers and bushings on the "shift cam" will wear down a bit and you will find the shifting a bit looser. On another note, I have found in some cases that the actual "shift mechanism" or shifting lever inside the primary cover can occasionally bind up or even bend under certain conditions. I have in the past replaced this simple part and solved similar problems. I would begin with fluid dynamics, and if this does not resolve the problem it is easy to check the lever inside the primary. Hope this helps...

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts

·
Just Ride
3,109 Posts
Clutch drag does effect getting neutral. Nothing to do with gear tolerance.
There's a shift lever in the primary:what:
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have had the bike for a year, the problem started about two weeks, i adjusted it last night and now it slides into N like a hot knife into butter...

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Have the same problem with my new '14 FLHTK. Damned thing won't go into neutral even without starting it. Never have that problem with my '05 Softail Classic. Pisses me off.

Ronnie

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have the same problem with my new '14 FLHTK. Damned thing won't go into neutral even without starting it. Never have that problem with my '05 Softail Classic. Pisses me off.

Ronnie
Tell me about it, my wife didn't make it any better, when we would ride 2up she would make her smart ass remarks, like do you want me to put it in for you... That bitch better be careful, we don't ride with a sissy bar... :)

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Tell me about it, my wife didn't make it any better, when we would ride 2up she would make her smart ass remarks, like do you want me to put it in for you... That bitch better be careful, we don't ride with a sissy bar... :)
Hah! A friend gave me a t-shirt for Christmas that says "If you can read this, Shila (my wife) fell off". :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have had the bike for a year, the problem started about two weeks, i adjusted it last night and now it slides into N like a hot knife into butter...
I had same problem after installing a new Energy One clutch recently. Harley manual says turn out adjuster screw between 1/2 and one full turn. Tried 1/2 turn at first and couldn't get neutral when engine running. Same deal at full turn. Then tried 3/4 turn out and that worked......weird.....but I can get neutral at stop lights now to give my clutch hand a break. By the way, after I did the 3/4 turn adjustment Energy One finally answered my email as to their recommendation and they said just turn out the adjuster 1/4 turn. If I have trouble again with neutral I'll try that.

PS Before I tried clutch adjustments I changed transmission fluid to Redline. Contrary to the numerous posts I found saying this was the solution to the neutral problem it did not help my neutral problem whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts