Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time that I need some help....please! I bought some after-market grips, and like one poster said, I found the clearances weren't right. So I sent it back and bought genuine Harley grips! Same damn thing happening! The throttle does not spring back, no matter what adjustment I make. ARgh!! Any help would REALLY be appreciated.:bluduh

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
When I installed my Iso grips on my Ultra Classic, I noticed that if I moved the switch housing and grip too far up on the handle bar, the throttle would rub a bit and not snap back. My bike is fly by wire so there are no throttle cables. On my old bike, I had to adjust the cable tension to get the throttle to snap back correctly. The adjustment was picky as well. A little too much or too little adjustment and the throttle would stick.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you. I'll watch the video and also see if the placement on the bars makes a difference. Thanks

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I'll watch the video and also see if the placement on the bars makes a difference. Thanks
If this doesnt work heres a few things to try but first make sure the little Star looking screw thats underneath ur housing is fully backed out. U should see it when u look under the outside of the housing, should be a spring on the stem of it.

1) lube the rubber part that goes inside the housing with a good lubricant
2) when adjusting make sure to back out both cable adjustments, then hold the grip giving it full throttle and adjust the cable until the throttle cam hits the cam stop. ( the throttle cam is located under and beneath the air cleaner. Its what opens and closes when u give it throttle and release, just keep adjusting until it hits the stop) once it hits the stop release the throttle and give the adjuster 1/2 turn more and tighten the two nuts together to stop it from backing out. Now heres where It could help ur situation, when adjusting the idle cable turn the bars all the way to the right and start adjusting the idle cable until u get good slap back

3) make sure ur not pinching the grip with the housing when tightening it back together

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glidewide, you are brilliant! I lubed and adjusted. I don't really know if it was the adjustment, the lube, or just to far up the bars, but now It works. Da Mack, the throttle was definitely shoved to far up. Guys You have made a huge difference here. It seems that when it didn't work for the 3rd or 4th time, my brain shut down. Thank you all.
That much closer to getting it all together. Hopefully I will have the tins tomorrow.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Glidewide, you are brilliant! I lubed and adjusted. I don't really know if it was the adjustment, the lube, or just to far up the bars, but now It works. Da Mack, the throttle was definitely shoved to far up. Guys You have made a huge difference here. It seems that when it didn't work for the 3rd or 4th time, my brain shut down. Thank you all.
That much closer to getting it all together. Hopefully I will have the tins tomorrow.
Just glad I could help, let us know if u run into any more snags along the way!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts