Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Daniii-
Since you're casting about for a right side engine guard on the VRF,
I guess the question is, how did it hold up? This time?

I've got a new set of guards I'm ready to install on the B-Rod, and I'll have to say,
they are a good deal more stoutly made than I expected them to be.

Since I believe you're our most experienced engine guard stress tester,
can you give your impression of a couple of things:

Does it take a lot to bend them I hope?
When they do bend is it catastrophic folding,
or something more like controlled absorption of the forces?

If they aren't stout as a railroad rail, would it be a good thing if they were?
Or do they need to bend, to keep from flipping they bike end over end?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of several projects I have the materials for, just need the gumption.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! Lil's been putting it off even longer than I have.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Hey Daniii-
Since you're casting about for a right side engine guard on the VRF,
I guess the question is, how did it hold up? This time?

I've got a new set of guards I'm ready to install on the B-Rod, and I'll have to say,
they are a good deal more stoutly made than I expected them to be.

Since I believe you're our most experienced engine guard stress tester,
can you give your impression of a couple of things:

Does it take a lot to bend them I hope?
When they do bend is it catastrophic folding,
or something more like controlled absorption of the forces?

If they aren't stout as a railroad rail, would it be a good thing if they were?
Or do they need to bend, to keep from flipping they bike end over end?
I got a new set of guards from a dealer in Jax, on Ebay, for $100, and sold the one I didn't need to Baby Huey.

As an expert, I have the following comments:

The guards (and saddlebags) have saved me thousands of dollars of damage. Likely saved me from totalling the bike (twice).

If the bike slides, you get to replace the guard. Max cost $225. (E-Bay $100!) My last adventure sanded the sucker to a half round.

But it didn't catch anything. (Which is important). Baby Huey's adventure in June also managed not to hook anything, and there was minimal damage.

If it catches something, it likely bends the lower frame. Another $125. On the Left side, if you tweak the shift linkage, you may get to replace the transmission shift shaft a year later (guess how I know this).

Jerry Shane, however, in avoiding a dog at 20 mph, flipped the bike, using up both engine guards and both saddlebags.

But the guards protect the engine side covers, which are very expensive to replace, especially if the cases are damaged.

The guards also provide a place for engine guard chaps (or lowers, in my case), and are the only safe place to locate hiway pegs (if attached to the frame, they can have serious damage if the bike goes down).

I will be interested to see what the guards look like for the "F".

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Do you people recomend gaurds for a sportster?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Do you people recomend gaurds for a sportster?
Yes!!! Engine guards are an inexpensive way to save expensive engine components in case of the rare chance that something such as a layover may damage.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
The wife has them on her Sporty. Saved a bit of cosmetic damage when she dropped it at a stop sign (forgot to put her feet down. Doh!). Also, again a place to hang hiway pegs.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Guess it will be on my spring shopping list. Thanks

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it catches something, it likely bends the lower frame. Another $125
In my slip and fall on the B-Rod w/o guards the front foot peg turning under bent the lower frame,
so the guards don't represent any negative there...

·
Registered
217 Posts
This thread convinced me - I'm getting the mustache engine guards and the saddle bag guards for my new Heritage Softail! Personally, I liked them for the looks and I also wanted the additional riding position the mustache guards give, but the fact that they evidently really do provide excellent protection in the event of a laydown...SOLD.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just so you do get the good reviews with the less good...

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23183&highlight=Hurt+report#post23183

38. Half of the injuries were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.

39. Crash bars are not an effective injury countermeasure; the reduction of injury to the ankle-foot is balanced by increase of injury to the thigh-upper leg, knee, and lower leg.

40. The use of heavy boots, jacket, gloves, etc., is effective in preventing or reducing abrasions and lacerations, which are frequent but rarely severe injuries.

I did just finish putting crash bars on my own V-Rod, having experienced a badly broken ankle in April from a slip and fall at walking speed. I hate the look as much as anybody, but I've got so many screws in my ankle I don't want to test what the next weakest spot is.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
My buddy just layed his new 09 streetglide down, engine gard was bent and broke where it was connected to the frame, has to have frame replaced, but it probably saved it from more damage, bags caught hell. 9000. damage. he broke his thumb, and a couple ribs,and passenger footpeg embedded itself in his calf.

·
H-D Technician
32 Posts
Does any know of, or seen, any good-looking guards for the DX (black being the appeal)?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Does any know of, or seen, any good-looking guards for the DX (black being the appeal)?
They all have to be shaped about the same to fit our bikes. This is the Harley one. You could get it powdercoated. I may do this at some point myself.

Click here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts