Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having battery problems; the battery was as old as the bike, 2000 883 Sportster. I picked up a new battery from the H-D shop and switched it out myself (feeling of pride). I got on the bike and it started right up (even more pride). Rode to a friends house, he jumped on his bike, and I noticed that my turn signals were not working as we left. We rode a few miles to a little pizza joint parked our bikes and ate. About an hour passed and I geared up got on my bike and it wouldn't start. The lights came on but would not turn over. I parked the bike, my buddy rode back to his house got his car and tools. When he returned I checked the battery out and everything seemed fine; tried starting it again, this time not even the lights came on? Towed home, $75, took out the battery today looked at cables, seemed fine, still no power (pride has shrank). Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dead cell in the battery maybe? Did you have the battery checked yet? Were the lights bright as usual or dim?

If this were a car, I would think voltage regulator or ignition module, but then that wouldn't explain your turn signals not working. hmm...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
You should always charge a battery when you get it. You dont know how long it's been on the shelf. A few miles to the pizza joint wont charge it, in fact as you found out it will drain it. If you dont have a battery tender I would highly recomend it. I bought a fancy one for $150 but you can get one as cheap as $20. Good luck.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Let the battery charge fully...then try again.

Do you have something to measure cranking amperage? Sometimes a brand-new battery may be faulty (shows fully charged but cells may be damaged internally)

If it doesn't work, you may have problems with the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like the others have said, charge the battery completely, the dry charge is not always sufficient to operate on, especially with a sportster, (higher compression) then make sure you have proper continuity at both poles (steal your sweetie's nail file,) and burnish both posts, and harness connectors.just enough to clean em up really well. then tighten connections properly, Also, check the connections to the starter, make sure all is clean and tight. Sometimes if the terminal connectors are dirty, you can get current going through, but not enough to turn the starter, or allow the charging current to get through.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the ground terminal on the frame break on my cable changing the battery and it caused the same problem. It was hard to find because the protective lining on the end of the cable and the terminal would still make contact but it was not enough to start it. Double check your cables.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agree with the others PLUS make sure your positive cable is OK. I had two vibrate in half right before the connector on the battery end on my Sporty. I have a friend with a Sporty and his did it too. Dealer says it's common. Another thing I noticed when it was going bad was my tach would start jumping all over the dial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts