Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about purchasing my first Road King or Street Glide and was wondering if Harley dealers typically negotiate price and what would be considered a good deal in the new Harley market?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It's Springtime. Be prepared to play real hardball to get anything. You'll do good to get them to drop all the B. S. add on service charges. Walk out several times if necessary. Then again it is the 25th of the month, maybe they have a quota to meet.

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Not much different from negotiating for a new car or truck. Do your homework, shop other dealers both in person and over the Internet. And don't be afraid to walk out if they give you too much BS. Look for the salesperson willing to spend some time with you and who will sharpen their pencil a bit. They need you more than you need them and lots of dealers would love to sell you a bike.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,471 Posts
Definitely get up and walk. Very effective. If they convince you to come back and they roll on another rubber, walk again. They'll call.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Dealt with dealers twice and learned something new or different each time that I will do next time.

Thats whats good about spending so much time with my cuz in K.C

Lots of dealer to bounce around to

Walkin out on a deal kinda bites when you find something you like but works very well

I hate B.S and doing the dance but I guess its just part of it

Wheelin and dealin on my First bike was eff'ed the bike was used and two years old

Had to deal with pushy and new salesman that would run off to the (finance guy) and he had to bounce stuff back and forth to sales manager

I walked out three or four times without closing deal and they called me so many times that I thought it might have been a mistake to give them my number

I about gave up when the sales manager told me Harley-Davidson wasn't going to pay me to own/ride their motorcycle

Once again when newbie salesman said to me that buying a Harley was supposed to be fun

I told him it is

But riding away is more fum

They seemed kinda bent when I decided to use my own finance instead of H-D

All advice so far is spot on and I almost always find out something after the sale that I'd wish I would have known

So take time and do some research and shop around

Bout all I know :thumbsup

·
Registered
89 Posts
I dunno. I had heard at various times over the years that Harley's sold at close to list, even higher with mandatory add ons in the really good times (for them).

I bought in January and got aboiut 15% off, but I did buy a warranty. I think you can probably get a slam dunk right now actually. Although the economy is good and not in crises like a few years ago, for some reason HD just reported lower sales than last year, same quarter. And a few days later (yesterday) Polaris reported crazy profit, 40% higher for Victory and Indian combined. HD may think they're Apple, but not right now apparently. People are looking at others, or the hipsters don't want the HD stigma (overpriced, underperforming, pirate thing, etc), or whatever the case may be.

I'd be looking for steep discounts if I were buying today-- assuming good credit, etc. You can probably get thousands off a touring bike with who knows what thrown in. Try, and be willing to walk.

Had thought I got a remarkable deal in Jan, now sorry I didn't wait...lol

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
I dunno. I had heard at various times over the years that Harley's sold at close to list, even higher with mandatory add ons in the really good times (for them).

I bought in January and got aboiut 15% off, but I did buy a warranty. I think you can probably get a slam dunk right now actually. Although the economy is good and not in crises like a few years ago, for some reason HD just reported lower sales than last year, same quarter. And a few days later (yesterday) Polaris reported crazy profit, 40% higher for Victory and Indian combined. HD may think they're Apple, but not right now apparently. People are looking at others, or the hipsters don't want the HD stigma (overpriced, underperforming, pirate thing, etc), or whatever the case may be.

I'd be looking for steep discounts if I were buying today-- assuming good credit, etc. You can probably get thousands off a touring bike with who knows what thrown in. Try, and be willing to walk.

Had thought I got a remarkable deal in Jan, now sorry I didn't wait...lol
AND...a lot more folks are buying used these days from individuals then ever before (Harleys anyway). I didn't buy mine from an individual, but I bought it from a Polaris dealer where it had been traded.

Went to the Harley dealer to get some stuff for my bike, and they had the same model as mine, except a year older and 10,000 miles more, bone stock--$2K more than what mine was marked at the Polaris dealership.

Crazy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your best weapon when entering a dealership is knowledge!

Know what you're looking for, know what it's worth in both market value and what the dealer probably paid for it. Also know what you're willing to pay for it, and what you want thrown in as part of the deal.

I bought my XL883L about 3 weeks ago after kicking the tires and checking things out for several months. I knew going in that it was a "basic bike" so there probably wasn't going to be a lot of wiggle room, but I still got out of there with a 2-up seat, sissy bar, rear pegs, and a year of extended warranty at a price that I could live with.. ~$10K out the door.

Do your research, and don't be afraid to get up and walk away. Don't be afraid to be an *******... you're doing them the favor of buying the bike, they're not doing you a favor of selling it to you..

good luck

Exco

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Your best weapon when entering a dealership is knowledge!

Know what you're looking for, know what it's worth in both market value and what the dealer probably paid for it. Also know what you're willing to pay for it, and what you want thrown in as part of the deal.

I bought my XL883L about 3 weeks ago after kicking the tires and checking things out for several months. I knew going in that it was a "basic bike" so there probably wasn't going to be a lot of wiggle room, but I still got out of there with a 2-up seat, sissy bar, rear pegs, and a year of extended warranty at a price that I could live with.. ~$10K out the door.

Do your research, and don't be afraid to get up and walk away. Don't be afraid to be an *******... you're doing them the favor of buying the bike, they're not doing you a favor of selling it to you..

good luck

Exco
How are you finding out what the dealer paid for it?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I bought my 2007 wide glide new and the best thing I did was shop on net and pin dealers down with a parts list of things I wanted added and warranty with tires and rims
with the shop discount they gave me 15% off parts and 10% on labor bottom line saved about 2400 dollars but as others have said I new exactly what I wanted rims stage one pipes pegs everything and gave all three dealers parts list
right now even though its spring I was looking at new touring bikes road glides and ultras
and they still had a 2014 they were willing to deal on and on there used bikes 2009 up
but the cvos which are very nice no way they wanted way more than I could pay lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Always shop around and many have last years model still around they will deal on and know what you are looking for

·
Registered
1 Posts
Negotiation tactic

In my previous life I had sold cars so I had somewhat of an idea of what I was doing so this is what I did. I already knew the bike I wanted and the place I wanted to buy it (proximately to my house).
A. Go to the Harley website and identify the Bike you want and calculate the price.
B. Get your financing in order whether that's through Harley or somewhere else. Trust me, it'll give you the confidence you need and you'll know your buying power.
C. Go to the first Harley dealership and look at the bikes in person. Don't buy from them and allow them to set the tone with pricing and all that. DO NOT PURCHASE on your first visit. Tell them whatever you need to but this is your leverage.
D. Go to the second dealership and repeat step C. Let them know you've been looking at the model at the other dealerships so they should know to cut the BS. Again, do not purchase but tell them you've got to think about it.
E. Go back to the first dealership and tell them you are ready to do business. Tell them you spoke to the another dealership and they really impressed you with trying to win your business. Don't give them the numbers but wait to see where they come in at. If they come in above the estimate from the Harley site and the other dealership then tell them they need to beat $XXXX price to win your business. I also asked for 10% off on merchandise that I would be purchasing within the month. They beat the other delaerships price by $13 a month and and as a result I got it for $1,500 under sticker. Done and done!

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,329 Posts
those are perfect tactics.

And the best thing going for us is the dent Victory and Indian are putting into Harley sales. It makes them willing to give a better deal. So what if we wouldn't buy Polaris just the threat gives the buyer an edge.

My dealer was fair and accepted my first offer 3 years ago. Service has been good to me ever since; especially whenever I have a problem. (which has been minor so far)

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Everyone should learn what dealer points are before you let the dealership arrange financing for you.

The best advice is to get your own financing before you go to the dealership. That way there are no dealer points. If you've ever purchased and financed AT a dealership, any vehicle, then you most likely paid dealer points. It's how they pay their over head.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
No matter what kind of deal you make its going to be profitable for the dealer. Sure you might save a little money, but the dealer is the one to make out.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
will do, it's been a long 2 weeks waiting for it and the day can't come soon enough

1 - 20 of 21 Posts