Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I know I will be keeping a given brand/type of pipes and air filter on my Fat Boy, which is the more precise way to set fuel metering:
1.) Dealer re-mapping with a dyno.
2.) Me re-mapping with a typical Power Commander or other ECU, albeit with the "typical" suggested settings and map codes?

It seems like the dealer has seen these combos over and over again and has the map codes down fairly close and can really tweak them better on the dyno.

Any thoughts on this from you mechs, pro or hobbyist alike?

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I know I will be keeping a given brand/type of pipes and air filter on my Fat Boy, which is the more precise way to set fuel metering:
1.) Dealer re-mapping with a dyno.
2.) Me re-mapping with a typical Power Commander or other ECU, albeit with the "typical" suggested settings and map codes?

It seems like the dealer has seen these combos over and over again and has the map codes down fairly close and can really tweak them better on the dyno.

Any thoughts on this from you mechs, pro or hobbyist alike?
If precision is what you're looking for, then a custom DYNO tune session with a good tuner can not be beaten. An off the shelf map will get you close, but the tolerances of each motor are different, and cumulatively, can change things quite a bit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If precision is what you're looking for, then a custom DYNO tune session with a good tuner can not be beaten. An off the shelf map will get you close, but the tolerances of each motor are different, and cumulatively, can change things quite a bit.
Ditto. Talk to the tuner first so your bike can get dialed in just the way you want.:USA:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts