Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 FXDC currently with Rush Slip-ons on stock pipes.

Adding SE Heavy Breather.

The dealer thinks the Stage I download is all I'll need to go along with it.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
All you need? Probably. The bike will probably run ok with just the DL.

But, it will run as hot as it did stock as the DL keeps the AFR as lean as it was to start with. You'll get more out of it if you go with a fuel controller.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Stage 1 download will get the afr back to stock lean after stage 1 air cleaner, and slipons. You would be ok. But if you want to get a tuner to improve to a more prefered afr then you can and the bike will run richer, cooler, and better throttle response.

I have a 2013 ultra and have stage 1 air cleaner, slipons, download, amd xieds, amd it runs great.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I went with a fi2000 CVT tuner and sent the XIEDs back. added Rush big louies and 2.5 baffles with a screaming eagle AC. Runs like a scalded dog and the exhaust is cooler. I am very happy but much poorer.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I've been think about the Xieds to deal with some decel popping so I'll probably add them as well.

The tuner will be a requested Christmas present next year.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Thanks all. I've been think about the Xieds to deal with some decel popping so I'll probably add them as well.

The tuner will be a requested Christmas present next year.
Why not go ahead and get the tuner now?
The xied's and download will be nulled out later when you install the tuner anyway.
While you might be able to recoup some of your money by selling the xied's, you will never get anything back for the download.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
that is exactly why I sent the xieds back and bought the tuner. do it once, do it right

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mainly the lack of spare cash. I later want to replace the entire exhaust and I'll add the tuner then.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
On the loose
8,680 Posts
Shop around on ebay , I picked up a PCIII for a buck 50 , it's sufficient for stage 1. I also picked up some Python dual staggards (V&H big shots ) for 180.00, together thats about what the PCIII retails for new. I also bought a new S&S stealth stage one air cleaner , got under six in about a grand worth of stuff @ new retail prices.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Why not go ahead and get the tuner now?
The xied's and download will be nulled out later when you install the tuner anyway.
While you might be able to recoup some of your money by selling the xied's, you will never get anything back for the download.
I don't understand the part about not getting anything back on the download. Once you buy the gear aren't any of the downloads free like power commander gear? Why would one expect a return on that? Just curious and then you made me think that xieds charge for their downloads.

Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't understand the part about not getting anything back on the download. Once you buy the gear aren't any of the downloads free like power commander gear? Why would one expect a return on that? Just curious and then you made me think that xieds charge for their downloads.

Thanks.

Vettster is saying when you purchase the stage 1 down load from the dealer you cannot resale it to get some money back.

You can resale the xieds to get a little cash back.

When you purchase a tuner you want need the Stage 1 download or the xieds. The downloads for the tuner will come from the company that makes the tuner, not from HD.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts

Thanks.

An XIED is basically a resistor that fools the computer into dumping more fuel into the engine.
There are no downloads for XIED's.

They have their place and they do work. In some situations.

The dealer will re-flash your PCM. This is a download. Once you pay your hundred dollars or whatever they charge, this cannot be taken off and transferred to another bike.

A tuner, wether it be a Power Vison, Power Commander, Race Tuner etc. can install different programs or "maps" to your ecm.
With these you can download different maps and install them on your bike. You can also put the bike on the dyno and have them fine tuned.

The dealer download (reflash) and XIED's are OK if that is all you are going to do to your bike.
If you plan on any future mods, you might as well bite the bullet and get the tuner right away.

Check out the PowerVision tuner. Theres lots of information on U-tube on how to work it.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
And if you get a tuner, remember there are basically 2 styles.
Piggy back which uses the stock ecm programming and adjust the input from the o2 sensors to make the engine run like the tuner says, these are pretty effective. These are like the power commander, v&h fuel pacs and kuryakyn style. If you have the HD stage one download, you need a map that includes that as a mod....
Then you have the reprogrammers. These actually flash a different map to the ecm and overwrites stock. I thonk these are the best tuner style as you are telling the ecm how to run, not fooling it into runnong by changing input values. These are also more expensive. These included tts mastertune and the hd programmers.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Vettster is saying when you purchase the stage 1 down load from the dealer you cannot resale it to get some money back.

You can resale the xieds to get a little cash back.

When you purchase a tuner you want need the Stage 1 download or the xieds. The downloads for the tuner will come from the company that makes the tuner, not from HD.
Makes sense. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts