Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i will go into the dealership i purchased my 09' Fat Bob from and attempt for them to replace the tires on my bike that they sold me. I have made a list of what i have completed in the past 2 weeks.... any bets? might attempt to get them to upload the stage 1 tune also....

1) Clunk in front when brakes applied, soon became clunking with every bump in the road. Checked fall-away according to service manual and it measured @ less than ¾” spec is from 3-4”. Upon inspection and adjustment the right fork was 3/16” higher in the triple clamp than the left. There is cupping on the front tire to support this. The star adjusting nut had no marks from any previous adjustments.
2) Clutch adjustment was not completed, after ½”-3/4” let out of the lever the clutch would engage. There was 5/16” of play in the clutch cable, the service manual specs @ 1/16”-1/8”
3) When leaving for work Monday morning @ 0430 the headlight assembly was noticed to be lighting up the roof of the house 200 feet away, not even close to the 2.1” lower than center from 25’ that the service manual specs.
4) Battery tender cable was installed on bike, I do not use a battery tender so i decided to remove it. Upon removing the battery cover it was noticed that the wire that was supposed to be connected to the positive terminal was torn from its connector. The positive wire was up against the metal battery box cover. If a battery tender was used it would have been grounded to the metal on the battery box.
5) The rear seat mounting bolt was stripped out, replaced it with a new bolt.
6) Air filter inspection – the cover was obviously not even removed, sand fell out when it was removed. Air filter was oily from the breather tubes, and had bugs stuck in it. Upon removal of the filter element the throttle body and throttle plate was covered in buildup of oil and dirt from the breather tubes.
7) When polishing the water spots off of the aluminum wheels it was noticed that the tires are most likely the original tires. The tires have dried and have cracking at the bead line along the sidewall of the tires where it meets the rims.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Unless you have something in writing saying they will give you XX days or XXX miles to complain.... you more than likely bought as-is.

The only items you might have covered under an extended service are the stripped bolt and battery tender wire. The 2 together do not add up to the $50 deductible you are likely to have to pay.

Good luck. No Shennanigans, Caveat Emptor.

If you had bought a used car with worn tires (and most of your complaints), do you think for one second they would lift a finger to help you?

See #5 on misinlink's post.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You likely would have signed some sort of "buyers guide" outlining the conditions of the sale. Probably something that stated "AS-IS" or "Warranty exists". However, what statements were made as to what they do to make a bike ready for sale? Did they say we do a complete service to ensure all is well? Did we ask? Can make a difference on how the bike was represented by the dealer and accepted by the owner. IMHO

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Your inspection should have occurred prior to purchase, not 2 weeks later. That is the purpose of a pre-purchase inspection, preferably performed by a trusted 3rd party (perhaps an independent). That would have been invaluable information to use in your purchase price negotiation.

That said, most dealers of any type are interested in maintaining a good reputation. If you handle this in an even, reasonable tone, and don't lose your temper, they may be willing to work with you to resolve your problems equitably. I wish you well. We can all learn from this.

--

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 superglide last Friday. The Friday before when I looked at it with the salesman I looked at the date codes on the tires and the condition. The rear was just over 3 years old and in very good condition, the front was 7 years old and the sidewall was showing it's age. I mentioned it to the salesman and he agreed. When I went back the following week to look at it again and do a roadtest, he mentioned that he had the front tire replaced and worked me out a deal. Other than it needing a Pa insp. and he said they do that before the bike is sold. I did the deal and picked it up the next day and everything was done. Only issue I had was it wasn't detailed that well, but I did that after I got it home. I'm kind of fussy when it comes to cleanliness on a bike. I wish you luck, but honestly I believe it's yours in my opinion. :)

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a used bike, I was charged $695 for the inspection and "Pre-sale" work that was supposedly completed on the bike. I should have questioned the inspection immediately when they offered me a job to be their Harley Davidson mechanic, because they just fired the old one, (they do sell other makes). The dry/cracking area in the tires is literally right where the rim meets the tire, yes i did not see it in the show room and you have to be right up on it. I did miss that yes. While i am not "bad mouthing" the dealer a certain degree of service should be completed on "used" motorcycles for safety purposes alone. If i can point out the issues that were not addressed maybe it will help them to look for these items on the next bikes they sell and prevent it from costing someones life.

·
sober 2 nite
223 Posts
Bought a 2005 springer from a dealer couple of things that I did not notice when on a test ride,I pointed out to them ie dead battery in alarm, broken lens on rear flasher replaced no problem.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
So have you been their yet? What was the outcome.
Peoples experiences with the different Dealerships really vary.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
So today i will go into the dealership i purchased my 09' Fat Bob from and attempt for them to replace the tires on my bike that they sold me. I have made a list of what i have completed in the past 2 weeks.... any bets? might attempt to get them to upload the stage 1 tune also....

1) Clunk in front when brakes applied, soon became clunking with every bump in the road. Checked fall-away according to service manual and it measured @ less than ¾” spec is from 3-4”. Upon inspection and adjustment the right fork was 3/16” higher in the triple clamp than the left. There is cupping on the front tire to support this. The star adjusting nut had no marks from any previous adjustments.
2) Clutch adjustment was not completed, after ½”-3/4” let out of the lever the clutch would engage. There was 5/16” of play in the clutch cable, the service manual specs @ 1/16”-1/8”
3) When leaving for work Monday morning @ 0430 the headlight assembly was noticed to be lighting up the roof of the house 200 feet away, not even close to the 2.1” lower than center from 25’ that the service manual specs.
4) Battery tender cable was installed on bike, I do not use a battery tender so i decided to remove it. Upon removing the battery cover it was noticed that the wire that was supposed to be connected to the positive terminal was torn from its connector. The positive wire was up against the metal battery box cover. If a battery tender was used it would have been grounded to the metal on the battery box.
5) The rear seat mounting bolt was stripped out, replaced it with a new bolt.
6) Air filter inspection – the cover was obviously not even removed, sand fell out when it was removed. Air filter was oily from the breather tubes, and had bugs stuck in it. Upon removal of the filter element the throttle body and throttle plate was covered in buildup of oil and dirt from the breather tubes.
7) When polishing the water spots off of the aluminum wheels it was noticed that the tires are most likely the original tires. The tires have dried and have cracking at the bead line along the sidewall of the tires where it meets the rims.
If you had inspected the bike prior to sale, and asked to have this work done, it's an as-is sale. Now you're going back TWO WEEKS LATER???

The reality is, there are some dealers that don't go over a bike as well as they should, and the bike is sold as a used bike. Just sayin'.......

1.) Cupping in the front tire could be seen on inspection prior to buying.

2.) Clutch adjustment would be seen/felt on initial test ride.

3.) Headlight....I gotta give you that. Nobody test rides a bike at night.

4.) Dealer likely didn't install battery tender plug, and wouldn't pull battery box, pre-sale anyway, unless there was a problem.

5.) Gotta give you the seat bolt....

6.) Again....most don't "tune-up a bike" on resale. It's wash, fluid change if needed and shove out on the floor. Not saying it's right. Just saying it's a reality.

7.) Most tires of age, especially Dunlop, have cracks at the bead. I've never seen one fail. New tires are a pre-sale deal item. Could have been seen on inspection. Cracks don't fail inspection, unless they expose internal structures or are deemed unsafe.

Not trying to bust your balls, but MOST people do exactly what you did, and buy a vehicle, THEN inspect it and pick it apart. The time to do that is PRIOR to sale, not once you own it, then complain.

Dealers are out to make as much $$$ as possible, as fast as possible, as a seasonal sales business, and not fix every little item, as it deters from profit.

It's just a simple fact of life. Expecting THEM to look out for your interests, just isn't gonna happen, bro.......

If you're a good mechainc, you know this.

Caveat Emptor.

With that being said, I do know of dealers that will make good on certain things, just to keep a customer happy.

Hope it works out for ya...........

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't yet, still working. this is the second bike i have bought from this dealer and my salesman this time was awesome. He is the Indian manager and has been working on and selling bikes for 30+ years. I haven't had any complaints on the customer service i have received in the past. I am not approaching the situation demanding anything or even expecting them to replace the tires. I will post my outcome afterwards.

So have you been their yet? What was the outcome.
Peoples experiences with the different Dealerships really vary.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I am not approaching the situation demanding anything or even expecting them to replace the tires. I will post my outcome afterwards.
It sounds if you have a good relationship with the dealer, and as we all know, you catch more bees with honey, than vinegar. It also sounds as if you;re taking this approach.

I hope it works out well for you.

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds if you have a good relationship with the dealer, and as we all know, you catch more bees with honey, than vinegar. It also sounds as if you;re taking this approach.

I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks Dave, I hope that other members look and think of these things as they are looking at used bikes. I should have inspected these items in a more in depth manner. I have been working on bikes and cars for 20+ years and knew there were items that would have to be addressed purchasing a 5 year old bike. I had the manual for the bike before i even signed for it, heck i graduated from MMI at the top of my class for latemodel H.D. in 2009.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
I haven't yet, still working. this is the second bike i have bought from this dealer and my salesman this time was awesome. He is the Indian manager and has been working on and selling bikes for 30+ years. I haven't had any complaints on the customer service i have received in the past. I am not approaching the situation demanding anything or even expecting them to replace the tires. I will post my outcome afterwards.
Agreed with Dave.
Plus being the second bike won`t hurt.
Might be a case of the Service Dept. not living up to Dealer expectations. You might be doing them a favor by bringing it to their attention.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
For a $695.00 inspection fee , obviously they inspected and their ace mechanic missed all of the items you mentioned & failed to even make simple adjustments . We need some compensation here somewhere ! Ask to see their $695.00 inspection list & go over it with the owner /manager of the dealership . You deserve some respect !

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got home from the dealer. Everything went well I provided documentation along with pictures to the GM and even spoke with him for almost an hour. At the end he asked what he could do for me. I told him that the only concern I had after everything was the tires and that things like these would be checked for future customers safety. After leaving the office for a few minutes he returned and told me to bring the bike in at my convenience and he would put some new rubber on it. I believe that it helped to be professional and provide facts to back up the items I addressed. Approach things like this from the positive side instead of being a raging lunatic and negative & the outcome will be different.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Just got home from the dealer. Everything went well I provided documentation along with pictures to the GM and even spoke with him for almost an hour. At the end he asked what he could do for me. I told him that the only concern I had after everything was the tires and that things like these would be checked for future customers safety. After leaving the office for a few minutes he returned and told me to bring the bike in at my convenience and he would put some new rubber on it. I believe that it helped to be professional and provide facts to back up the items I addressed. Approach things like this from the positive side instead of being a raging lunatic and negative & the outcome will be different.
Outstanding...... :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts