Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchased a used 2009 Sportster 1200 Custom. When I got the bike, it already had a set of Vance and Hines Straight Shot pipes and a Screamin Eagle air filter installed. The deceleration popping didn't bother me at first, but am to a point now where I want to do something about it. I know this is a common topic, so Ive done a little research. Some have suggested installing the Vance and Hines Fuelpak fuel management system and seems to work well for others.

Are there any better options out there ?

Steve

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
HD Racetuner and PowerCommander are two other fuel managers to consider. Good luck.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Before my 2014 Superllow 1200T I owned a 2010 V Star 950. I installed exhaust, air kit and Power Commander V. I received the correct map from Power Commander which eliminated 90% of the decel pop. When I bought my Sporttster I had HD instal the V&H Big Radius along with Stage 1 Air Kit and FP3. I get absolutely no decal pop. I'd say the FP3 is probably the best choice. At least it is for my bike

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
But before you do anything, check the bolts that hold your pipes to the heads, if they are loose that will cause popping.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've got the same exhaust and intake set-up (2014 Sportster 72). The bike was tuned by the HD dealer and I also get some decal popping.

Based on what I've read some popping is normal even on properly tuned motorcycles and goes unnoticed on bikes with quiet, stock mufflers.

Beyond the popping an important question is how is the bike performing overall? How is the throttle response and acceleration? Are you getting popping or legit backfires (huge explosions) on deceleration?

The popping is caused by having just the right F/A ratio and heat in the exhaust to cause combustion of the remaining fuel. As others have mentioned check for an exhaust leak that might be contributing to the problem.

My understanding is fuel management systems eliminate/minimize the popping by enriching the mixture so that what is left in the exhaust is a F/A mixture not conducive to the combustion that creates popping. This is sort of counter intuitive since we would normally think "more fuel equates to more popping" but that's not necessarily the case.

If the decel popping is not the result of an exhaust leak and isn't associated with poor performance then the decision regarding a fuel management system comes down to whether it's enough of an annoyance to justify spending the money on it in an attempt to get rid of the popping (personal choice).

A related question I have is whether the remap to get rid of popping targets the closed throttle position only (some enrichment) and therefore would not have a huge impact on fuel economy.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
A related question I have is whether the remap to get rid of popping targets the closed throttle position only (some enrichment) and therefore would not have a huge impact on fuel economy.
When I had my V Star I had the Power Commander V Fuel Management Module. Power Commander sent me the Map for my setup. After I uploaded it I was till getting some decal Popping. I was instructed by the Power Commander Rep to increase the fuel ratio by 10% at whatever RPMs I heard the pop on decal with the throttle closed. I did and it greatly reduced the popping, but I did notice a drop in MPG... nothing drastic, but I was getting less MPG.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2005 XL1200. The decel popping isn't so bad but it is the occasional cough, hiccup...not quite backfire, after the decel that annoys me. If I rev the engine, or accelerate I get the loud cough. Hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. Normal acceleration is fine...no other issues.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2005 XL1200. The decel popping isn't so bad but it is the occasional cough, hiccup...not quite backfire, after the decel that annoys me. If I rev the engine, or accelerate I get the loud cough. Hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. Normal acceleration is fine...no other issues.
Any other ideas?
If you're getting hicups or hesitation on acceleration then you very well may need to remap. If the bike is accelerating briskly and running smoothly at all rpms then the popping would be more an issue of does it annoy you to the point where you want to spent a few hundred dollars to get rid of it.

If you go to 10:25 in this video you'll hear what I consider normal decel popping on a bike that is tuned and running properly.

https://youtu.be/YSd-z4a_eOQ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts