Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and make a long story short and ask for your thoughts.

1. Bought a 2014 Soft tail Heritage with Vance and Hines slip-ons o it. Decelration popping galore.

2. Dealer I bought it off of put a Super Sucker air cleaner on it and did a down load to help the situation. After the work still had deceleration popping going on. They told me there is nothing else they can do for the popping. I have enjoyed this dealership immensely over the last four years.

3. Called another dealer and they want me to bring it down and ride it. They talked about a vision or power commander fuel management system to take the deceleration popping away.
They told me they have done this many times with excellent results.

4. Taking it to this dealer tomorrow.

If this works and the popping goes away I feel like I should approach the dealership where I bought the bike and talk with them about this. Looking for wisdom on what to do or what not to do. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Pastor Jeff

·
Banned
71 Posts
I am going to try and make a long story short and ask for your thoughts.

1. Bought a 2014 Soft tail Heritage with Vance and Hines slip-ons o it. Decelration popping galore.

2. Dealer I bought it off of put a Super Sucker air cleaner on it and did a down load to help the situation. After the work still had deceleration popping going on. They told me there is nothing else they can do for the popping. I have enjoyed this dealership immensely over the last four years.

3. Called another dealer and they want me to bring it down and ride it. They talked about a vision or power commander fuel management system to take the deceleration popping away.
They told me they have done this many times with excellent results.

4. Taking it to this dealer tomorrow.

If this works and the popping goes away I feel like I should approach the dealership where I bought the bike and talk with them about this. Looking for wisdom on what to do or what not to do. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Pastor Jeff
If the right map is loaded, the decel popping will quit .

Just explain to the first Dealer what worked for you,,,all you can do . What they do in the future is up to them .

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I know, the issue of decel popping isn't really an issue. Even a perfectly tuned motor is going to have unburnt fuel entering the exhaust and if your pipes are short, the heat is going to ignite that fuel. Some people just don't like the pop. A lot of people using power commander v tend to add fuel to the decel portion of the fuel table to dump more fuel, decreasing get temps in hope for a cooler exhaust and no or less popping because of it. I just installed v&h short shots and a s&s stealth intake, and I've got popping, but everything else runs well, so I'm not really to worried. I don't like the idea of detuning and adding fuel just to lower egts at decel to not pop. Waste of fuel if you ask me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
From what I know, the issue of decel popping isn't really an issue. Even a perfectly tuned motor is going to have unburnt fuel entering the exhaust and if your pipes are short, the heat is going to ignite that fuel. Some people just don't like the pop. A lot of people using power commander v tend to add fuel to the decel portion of the fuel table to dump more fuel, decreasing get temps in hope for a cooler exhaust and no or less popping because of it. I just installed v&h short shots and a s&s stealth intake, and I've got popping, but everything else runs well, so I'm not really to worried. I don't like the idea of detuning and adding fuel just to lower egts at decel to not pop. Waste of fuel if you ask me.
Its not adding fuel for the sake of adding fuel. It is to correct the overly lean (read still has an abundant amount of O2 in the exhaust gasses) EPA compliant A/F ratios. By adding fuel, you are making use of the O2 still available in the EPA compliant A/F ratios.

Same thing with exhaust pipes that are too short.... They let O2 enter the exhaust pipe on the reversion pulse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its not adding fuel for the sake of adding fuel. It is to correct the overly lean (read still has an abundant amount of O2 in the exhaust gasses) EPA compliant A/F ratios. By adding fuel, you are making use of the O2 still available in the EPA compliant A/F ratios.

Same thing with exhaust pipes that are too short.... They let O2 enter the exhaust pipe on the reversion pulse.
I understand that and why they're doing it.. I just feel like adding fuel on decel, has next to no affect on how the engine is running, except the fact you are richening the mixture as to get lower egts and less popping in doing so. In a normal car engine and lots of factory tunes of bikes, the injectors actually are shut off on decel to prevent gas being wasted to just lower egts and also make it so there is no unburnt fuel entering the exhaust in the first place since injectors are shut off. This can cause a bad surge when power comes back on though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
When I had a 103" stroker kit installed on my 2002 Road King I started to get a lot of Decel popping. TTS Mastertune and bike tuned by, arguably, one of the best tuners on the East coast. He could not get rid of the decel popping no matter what he did. Had the bike on the dyno for three days before he gave up.
Turns out my "Wild Pig" pipes needed a good shot of fiberglass packing. The old packing was long gone. Must have tried 50 different tunes to shut up the decel popping to no avail. The new fiberglass wrap cured the problem.
Don't rule out your slip ons as the issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure it is the slip-ons. They say Vance and Hines are problematic with deceleration popping.

1. Went to dealer in Chester County. He took it out and than discussed some options with me.

2. The first option we are going to try is ordering Screaming Eagle Cannon mufflers that just came out for Soft tails this year. He will install them and let me ride with them for a week. if it works I buy them. If it does not work, he will explore other options like Vision Commander. He was telling me my bike was tricky because the noise is on the low end. In other words the deceleration happens when the rpms come down. I think that is what he means.

So I feel I have someone to work with me on this. I appreciate the fact he did not try and sell me the highest priced thing. He wants to give me the most for my money and he realizes that I am not made out of money.

Will keep you informed as the journey continues.

Pastor Jeff

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
When I had a 103" stroker kit installed on my 2002 Road King I started to get a lot of Decel popping. TTS Mastertune and bike tuned by, arguably, one of the best tuners on the East coast. He could not get rid of the decel popping no matter what he did. Had the bike on the dyno for three days before he gave up.
Turns out my "Wild Pig" pipes needed a good shot of fiberglass packing. The old packing was long gone. Must have tried 50 different tunes to shut up the decel popping to no avail. The new fiberglass wrap cured the problem.
Don't rule out your slip ons as the issue.
Had to do a modified version of the "washer trick" to cure the pop on my bike with Thunderheaders.

·
Registered
526 Posts

It's adding fuel to get rid of popping which may not add anything with respect to performance. As others have said a correctly tune engine can pop. If the popping is associated with poor performance you tune to gain performance not to necessarily get rid of the popping UNLESS the popping is just a major annoyance to you.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Not sure how you can correctly tune an engine that is popping.

A dyno run with the A/F sniffer will clearly show that the A/F ratio is all over the place whenever there is popping occurring.

·
Registered
11 Posts

A dyno run with the A/F sniffer will clearly show that the A/F ratio is all over the place whenever there is popping occurring.
You aren't tuning the decel map. It's everything before the moment you left off the throttle that causes popping if there is any. Leaner motor will cause more because egts will be hotter and any excessive fuel that goes into the cylinders will easily ignite, causing popping sounds.

·
Registered
526 Posts

We're talking deceleration popping. The focus of a dyno run is maximum acceleration.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
We're talking deceleration popping. The focus of a dyno run is maximum acceleration.
I realize that.

The same RPM that I had decel popping is the same RPM range that the A/F ratio was going all over the map due to free flowing exhaust. No jetting change would cure it. It took modifying the exhaust to remedy the problem.

Reactions: webco2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pastorjeff,
Do a little research on the FP3, it's made by Vance &Hines. I had the same problem as you described. After the 10 minutes it took me to install the FP3, it completely went away, and the bike runs a lot better also.
Let me know what you think.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
526 Posts
Pastorjeff,
Do a little research on the FP3, it's made by Vance &Hines. I had the same problem as you described. After the 10 minutes it took me to install the FP3, it completely went away, and the bike runs a lot better also.
Let me know what you think.

I think the critical part of your statement is "the bike runs better". A bike can be tuned for maximum performance and still have decel popping. If that is the case changing the tuning to get rid of the popping is adding fuel not for the sake of enhancing performance but to eliminate what is annoying to some (popping). The additional fuel may also lower operating temperature which may have some benefit with respect to life/reliability but I've never read anything that equates X decrease in operating temperature results in Y increase in engine life.

My point is if your bike isn't performing well (poor throttle response, hesitation during acceleration, anemic power compared to the same model of bike, etc.) by all means investigate tuning as a solution. But if decel popping is the only issue I can't see (my personal opinion) spending hunreds of dollars to get rid of it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I realize that.

The same RPM that I had decel popping is the same RPM range that the A/F ratio was going all over the map due to free flowing exhaust. No jetting change would cure it. It took modifying the exhaust to remedy the problem.
We may be talking about to different things.

Decel popping happens when you roll off the throttle and the popping will occur through a wide range of engine rpm as the engine spools down. What rpm it occurs at has nothing to do with power output on acceleration which is what you are measuring during a dyno run.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But if decel popping is the only issue I can't see (my personal opinion) spending hunreds of dollars to get rid of it.

Yes, that's your personal opinion. But if the person who owns the bike, is annoyed by the popping, and thinks spending money to get rid of it is worth it, then by all means, it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts