Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have any thoughts as to why the fuel mileage is going down on my 09 Fatbob? The first year I had it I got about 50 mpg, last year I got about 45 and now this year about 41. I have about 13000 miles on it and oil level is ok. I have had all the 5000 mile maintenance intervals performed at dealer and also change oil every 2500 miles. Someone told me it is my riding style but I don't think that would make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Riding style has a lot to do with this problem. I am pretty sure your style hasn't changed since last year. I don't know you would have to clarify that for us. Harder on the throttle, more speeding, etc.

If your style hasn't chaged can you give us more info on bike. Any engine mods, tuner, what stage is your engine at? Hard to help without particulars.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Riding style and in or out of town/highway makes a huge difference on my '11 Fat Bob.

Doing the usual back and forth to work and cruising around town I get about 40, put it on the highway and cruise about 70-80 mph and I will see over 50.

Stage 1- V&H short shots and HD round air filter, tuned by me and Fuel Moto with a Power Vision

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I'm not saying this to be a smart guy.. but are you real sure about that 50? I write my numbers down, the memory isn't what it use to be. Things that come to mind off the top of my head... of course riding style, air filter that is dirty, dragging brakes... all shots in the dark, just a thought or two.

·
Screw it, let's ride
290 Posts
I'm not saying this to be a smart guy.. but are you real sure about that 50? I write my numbers down, the memory isn't what it use to be. Things that come to mind off the top of my head... of course riding style, air filter that is dirty, dragging brakes... all shots in the dark, just a thought or two.
My '97 Dyna with the 80 ci Evo will still get 50+ cruising highway speeds, in town or on twisty roads with lots of deceleration and acceleration it will drop significantly though.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I have a Power Vision and unless it's blatantly lying to me I've seen 54 mpg on long trips at sustained highway speeds.

I've never done a fill up and math check for highway, but I have for local riding and the PV is always within a couple tenths of the math.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My guess, first year, new bike ride easy until you get used to it. Second year getting used to bike. Third year used to bike, more comfortable, faster accelerating, higher top speeds. It will most likely level off now that you have some seat time on it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Riding style makes a HUGE difference. I can go out o a Saturday with riding buddies and get caught up in drag starts and all the other crap we/they do and burn a tank in 130-140 miles. I get 180 or so with my "regular" riding behavior.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dude
Id be waving banners for 40 MPG.
My 2013 gets about 180 miles per tank with a 6 gallon tank. Im not a hard rider, I ride the freeways and cruise most of the time in mid range RPM (3200 max). I know mine is a 103 and yours is probably a 96, but for some reason I thought Id get better

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Would anyone have any thoughts as to why the fuel mileage is going down on my 09 Fatbob? The first year I had it I got about 50 mpg, last year I got about 45 and now this year about 41. I have about 13000 miles on it and oil level is ok. I have had all the 5000 mile maintenance intervals performed at dealer and also change oil every 2500 miles. Someone told me it is my riding style but I don't think that would make that much of a difference.
Riding style maybe, getting more used to the bike so you push a little harder then you first did. But I would guess that the addition of more ethonal in fuel vs 3 yrs ago, would be the most possible answer. I had a 2010 ultra and running non ethanol fuel I could get 45-50. Last summer the station Iused to get non e gas switch to E10 and it dropped to 40-45. Now with my 13 and stage one and fact that its a 103, im averaging 35-40.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts