Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every time I go riding, or driving a car for that matter, it reinforces(spelling) the importance of defensive driving to me. Going through a neighborhood today, a young boy looked straight at me while he drove through a stop sign. He didn't get in a hurry about it, just drove on cross while he stared at me. If you don't drive like every body is out to hit you, it's easy to find yourself in a bad spot. It's real hard to surprise me. It happens some times, can't help that. But it's not too often.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Yuuuuuup.

This all happened today, during a 40 mile ride.

An old man and his wife in a Chevy pickup changed lanes right into my lane. Had he not had a signal in his mirror that I saw and hit the hooks, he would have put me in the median.

Then a woman pulling out of a gas station looked right into my eyes, held eye contact and pulled out right in front of me. Once again I was prepared and everything was fine.

Lastly, while riding in the middle lane, a guy turned right off of a side street, and just HAD to be in the left lane so he cut across all lanes of traffic and would have hit my front wheel with his back bumper.

By that point I was so angry and frustrated with the ahole drivers of the day that I purposely locked up the back wheel, made an incredibly loud screeching noise and scared the shart out of him.

At the next light I pulled up to him and he smiled. I was so pissed that I started yelling at him. Turns out he only mowimy Po Polsku.

You got to keep your head on a swivel out there boys. Specially in the big city.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think some of these little s**theads are provoking drivers. They have this idea that nobody can harm them. Seen it myself.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I was leaving a ball field in a black neighborhood, it was a black kid, late teens. Had my son and my two grandsons not been right behind me, I probably would have acted differently. :bat

·
Registered
411 Posts
Had an incident the other day on my way home from work, stopped at a traffic lite with a turn lane to my left [I was in the straight ahead lane] another biker was across the street from me also in the straight ahead lane with a turn lane to his left. the turn lanes had green arrow. when the turn lanes got a red light and my light turned green I started forward, the a$$ wipe on the bike across from me made a left turn right in front of me out of the straight ahead lane, I had to crack the throttle and feather the clutch to give him room to pass in front of me, now if I had left that light like I usually do we probably would have wrecked and if it hadn't shocked me that he did that I would have ran him down and we would have had a chat. IT AIN'T OVER, cause I think this dumb a$$ is a local and I will see him again.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,049 Posts
It ain't worth it.
"You can't fix stupid" --Ron White, aka Tater Salad

·
Registered
411 Posts
:cussingI agree somewhat with you Silverback, but I guess it was the way this tard was laid back all cocky and shit like it was ok to do that cause I am a bad a$$ biker that pissed
me off the most. :cussing

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had 4 incidents this past Saturday, all which required quick downshifts and applying the brakes quite aggressively. 3 cages and a loaded tractor trailer, that the driver looked right at me as I was approaching the side road and pulled into my path. I ride an ultra so I always have the driving lights on, and if I'm on the low rider I have the high beam on for daylight riding. Was heading to a 2 or so hr bike event and was only about 20 mins into the trip. I was tempted to just turn around and head home because the day was starting out kind of scary. I told my wife, who was with me that I have considered finding a new hobby, because lately this one is becoming more dangerous. It amazes me that folks don't seem to care that waiting a few more seconds of their precious time could prevent a lifetime of heartache for the victims or the dumbass that is impatient. I just don't get it.:mad

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Since I ride in the city, I expect everything all the time. I have seen it all. Even a guy txting on a crotch rocket. Seems to be much worse for riders these days. Txting and cells make a driver look like they have been drinking. I drive part aggressive and defensive.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I was telling my dad about this thread and some of the stories.

He brought up a really good point. Obviously this applies more to big cities. When he started riding in the early 70's there was a third the traffic, congestion and development. Areas that are now suburbs were corn fields back then.

When we ride I can tell he is nervous until we get further from the city. Then his demeanor completely changes.

He thinks some of us younger riders, at least the ones with a decent head on our shoulders, have a bit of advantage because we learned in this environment and understand what to watch for.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
I posted the video of us going up Blood Mountain on Saturday, about half way up the mountain, you can see an SUV in the right lane not bother to look or use a blinker slide over into the left lane where I was about to overtake her. I felt it coming and began to let up just as son as I began to approach them, you can hear me let off, then move to the right and pass her in the right lane when it was clear to me that she intended on staying right where she was. We stopped at the top of the MTN and my Fiancé told me that she almost kicked the car when we went past her (normally she would have tried to crawl off the bike on to their hood and begin kicking stuff, she has no fear of dying whatsoever), instead she walked to the side of the highway and waited on the car to make it to the top of the hill, got her attention by giving her the international peace sign and simply told the shocked lady, "It's called a blinker sweetheart!" She drove off with a look of bewilderment on her face. not sure she will pay attention down the road, but the point was made.

Let's me know that I would not do well with a "get back whip" at all. I'd use it, or my Fiancé would...

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
I had 4 incidents this past Saturday, all which required quick downshifts and applying the brakes quite aggressively. 3 cages and a loaded tractor trailer, that the driver looked right at me as I was approaching the side road and pulled into my path. I ride an ultra so I always have the driving lights on, and if I'm on the low rider I have the high beam on for daylight riding. Was heading to a 2 or so hr bike event and was only about 20 mins into the trip. I was tempted to just turn around and head home because the day was starting out kind of scary. I told my wife, who was with me that I have considered finding a new hobby, because lately this one is becoming more dangerous. It amazes me that folks don't seem to care that waiting a few more seconds of their precious time could prevent a lifetime of heartache for the victims or the dumbass that is impatient. I just don't get it.:mad
When I started feeling like I was living on borrowed time, I sold #4 and didn't ride for 33 years. Now that I have #5, I'm seeing more near misses than I did back then and there are a ton more motorcycles on the road now. My left arm is getting sore just doing the "Harley Wave".

Had a guy in a van cut me off yesterday and I was right there on his blind side about 12 inches away from him. I sort of felt it coming so I didn't pass him and sure enough he pulled right over where I was going to be.. . . . I really like the very loud Harley horns now. He wouldn't have heard me on the sportster, but he sure the heck heard me yesterday.

GOTTA DRIVE DEFENSIVELY

·
Registered
34 Posts
The British have data that indicates (backed up by the experiences here) drivers are not looking for motorcycles and look right through a bike and headlight. Depending on eye contact for reaching a mutual agreement as to safe right of way passage is a sure way to end your ride shore of destination.
Be safe and always expect the other vehicle operator to do that which is most hazardous your health.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
It's not just 20yr old kids. It's their moms and dads with phones in their hands or fingers up their butts too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've grown up around bikes, and have ridden them myself for over 25 years. Motorcycling is a lot more popular now then when I was growing up riding on the back of my dad's Honda. Good ole days. With all the bikes, one would think people would look more for them, but it doesn't appear as though the cagers do. Yes, more traffic and more housing developments ect. but also more bikes. Honestly I just think people don't care. Learned a lot riding when I was young and was raised to respect bikes and to ride responsible, so may be knock on wood that's why I'm still here. I'm always cautious and always prepared for the unexpected to happen when approaching possible dangerous situations. I took the advanced MSF course 2 years ago, and I figured since I've been riding for years it would be easy, but I had my eyes opened and learned a lot. I apply things learned since then. I highly recommend it. I don't think I will give up riding just yet, but sometimes it does make me think. Playing dodge ball with cagers takes the fun and enjoyment from it some. We left early in the morning that day so traffic was not the least heavy, but the one's out there were not caring or paying attention. After the first 2 my wife told me to calm down and take aa deep breath and let it go. I ride to relax and clear the mind, but that's hard when it appears everyone is out to kill you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have in no means seen it all... But
I have had a guy left turn in front of me and stop, eye contact the whole way down to the ground and the craziest look on his face. Still didn't try to move and correct his error, but he sure moved in a hurry before I got up.

Had a cage of highschoolers think it was funny to throw blackcats out the window at me, until I followed them home with my mounted framing hammer and training grenade in hands. Funny! Funny! :boondock saints

Even had another rider stop and turn in front of me without even sticking his hand out, very experienced rider. Ended up hitting him from behind and cracked my skull, still no hearing in one ear.

It's an obstacle course every day. The sooner we all realize that, the better we can prepare for when they pop up. And the better we can decide if this is the life we want.

I highly suggest training (empty) grenades as standard equipment, nothing will wake them up quicker or more effectively than pulling the pin and dropping it in their lane... Or window.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts