Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Harley, 2001 Road King Classic, and i love it. My big question is when i turn the ignition switch there is a delay on the lights and activation of the fuel pump. The dealer said that is normal...and how would i know? hope you guys can help. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
What kind of delay ? How much time between turning the switch on until the lights and pump come on ?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
:think

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Thinking about this a bit more ... corrosion inside the ignition switch. The switch can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
Yeah Schmidtys, I was wondering of it is some type of resistance in the switchor even worn . I was gonna ask if the switch has to be manipulated to to make contact...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the help. Delay is about 15 seconds when it is cold (outdoor temp) and @5 sec when I'm a warm place. I turned the switch on and wiggled it and everything seems fine. It always seems to follow the same sequence...first idiot lights, then Speedo and Tach lights, then fuel pump. Hope this helps.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Loosen the dash panel and turn it upside down. Look into the little slots in the back of the switch, if you can see greenish looking corrosion in the slots the switch will either need to be cleaned internally or replaced. It will only get worse and could leave you stranded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just one question on that, why would the cold have anything to do with this? Now that it is warmer the delay seems less, it has also been suggested it could be a relay issue. Thanks

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Temp variations can affect the electrical contacts and the dielectric grease inside the switch.
The reason I came up with the switch being a possible cause for the delay is because I've had to fix quite a few switches with varying symptoms caused by the corrosion issue.
Your problem may not be the switch at all but it's easy enough to inspect and reach a conclusion. It's a process of elimination.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...Checked the switch. looks fine, lubed and checked for continuity when turned on, instant connection. Put back together and still has delay, very sequential. Went to Harley dealer yesterday (wife and clothing) and roamed around turning switches, some had slight delay, others did not. Interestingly it seemed that those with alarms or active security seemed to have delay, taking it in for warranty check although Service manager said that it has done the delay for as long as they serviced it, and it was bought new there.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
So...Checked the switch. looks fine, lubed and checked for continuity when turned on, instant connection. Put back together and still has delay, very sequential. Went to Harley dealer yesterday (wife and clothing) and roamed around turning switches, some had slight delay, others did not. Interestingly it seemed that those with alarms or active security seemed to have delay, taking it in for warranty check although Service manager said that it has done the delay for as long as they serviced it, and it was bought new there.
I'm sure they thanked you for not licking the windows.

Or, did they?

In all seriousness, I had a problem with my switch, although it's probably not applicable here other than to say that they do go bad or get dirty. Mine was at the root - or partially so, I believe - of a problem I had with the battery not charging. New switch and much cleaning of the harness plugs fixed the problem.

I also noticed that while riding, if I touched the switch - like if I grabbed it and tried to turn it just a hair further clockwise, it would shut the bike down completely.

New one doesn't do that.

Good luck, amigo! Look forward to hearing the verdict.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts