Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I have an 08' Deluxe. I've recently noticed when I'm riding, I let up on the throttle or pull in the clutch & it "sounds like" gears are moving or something is is turning from the bottom of the motor. Any ideas?"

·
Just Ride
3,733 Posts
Primary chain out of adjustment or low on fluid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid is good, replaced shoe that had a crack in it & replaced inner primary bearing thinking that might be the cause but its still making the sound.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Compensating sprocket assembly , lives on the end of the crankshaft in the primary housing .

·
Banned
71 Posts
He's (hubby) is using synthetic oil in the tranny. He said he uses synthetic oil in everything
I'm sorry Ma'am , I did not realize that you were a girl . :eek-surprise

How much mechanical ability do you have ? I'm not being patronizing , just want to tailor the answers to your understanding .

Using gear lube in the transmission will quiet down the gear noise that an '08 is known for .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no worries...I have a little knowledge and have been watching everything that is done to my bike. Originally we thought it was the inner primary bearing (slightly worn) but replacing that & the shoe didn't help. The sound & feel is still there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've used synthetic oil in all the maintenance's in the is...With age, should we change up to 80w140 or what about redline?

·
Banned
71 Posts
We've used synthetic oil in all the maintenance's in the is...With age, should we change up to 80w140 or what about redline?
I use Mobil 1 synthetic in everything . 20W50 in motor....Dexron ATF in primary... 80W140 in transmission .

With that being said , any good brand will work .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wish we would have seen this video before putting it all back together. When we replaced the bearing, we were 1/2 way there already. LOL

·
Banned
71 Posts
It works out sometimes like that...all part of the game .

Ya'll do have the Harley MoCo Service Manual and the Parts Book already ??

If not, it'll be the best money you'll ever spend. The Parts book has exploded views that really help in understanding exactly how things go together .

·
Indian Larry
9,184 Posts
Do you have the shop manual? You were MORE than halfway there, when you pull the primary next time, take the best pictures you can of the compensator sprocket, the teeth on the clutch, the chain tensioner and anything else you see that looks interesting. This will help some of these guys guide you and help with reassembly.
Also, lots of if run the gear oil, ATF, synthetic oil program and are very happy with it.
(Make sure the ATF is non detergent)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A couple of questions: 1) would there have been an particles in the oil/fluids if the compensator sprocket was bad? Cause the oil was clean. 2) If we change the oil in the trans and/or the primary from synthetic 20w50 to 80w140 do we have to change all the gaskets?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts