Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found a cleaner/detailer for my denim finish at my dealer - it's call Wizards Products Wipe Down" It's "specifically made for flat finishes", has no was or silicone. It is the first I have seen to address our problem of keeping these denim finishes looking like they should. They make really good wax too. Stuff is not cheap, but works really good.

It costs more than windex, on their website it was $10.95. I attached a picture of it.

I just started using it, works well, used non ammonia windex in the past, but my wife kept b#tchin that I stole her windex, now I got my own stuff. I don' t know if it actually conditions the paint, but it has to do a better job than windex over the long term in keeping my finish good.

Attachments

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Thanks reesmicm. Will look into. Matte finishes strike a chord with my eyeballs. Would mention H-D recommends the Harley Gloss spray (< $10) for their matte finishes, and after two years of using in on the denim finish, it does keep the denim looking like the day I brought the bike home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paint

Thought about the HD gloss, but HD counterdicks themselves on using it, they say in owner's manuals don't use any wax/silicon based stuff, then they say on the other hand, use THEIR HD gloss that contains them. Could it be, that they don't carry a suitable product themselves, so they recommend it only since it's HD based. Just like their oil, its crap, but they recommend it anyway.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I'm thinking the Harley gloss is applied to a clean surface in order to protect and preserve the finish and this stuff looks like a great choice for light cleaning or after a wash and before the Harley Gloss.

Non ammonia Windex works well for dust and light dirt although the owners manual clearly states ammonia based products are perfectly acceptable. I cant tell if this product contains it or not. If your riding hard through all types of weather a more stubborn form of dirt is produced and a good washing with soap and water in recommended to prevent scratching.

I have heard from quite a few people with the "Denim" (flat) finish that the Harley Gloss works very well and looks killer as Steve sorta said above. Thats why I just bought some but I havent tried it yet.

I'll give it a shot on your recommendation.

PS Steve, got a shot of your bike laying around?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
The Harley Gloss bottle notes it is a UV detailer. Doesn't list any kind of wax agents in its ingredients. I think it is essentially a mild cleaner, enabling a mild gloss (just right for a matte/denim finish) and protective agents to keep surfaces from fading. After two years of usage on the DX as recommended, it hasn't changed the denim paint at all... isn't any shinier or duller.

Just about right...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Well Steve, I never tire of looking at this pic. I got to try my Harley Gloss today after a wash. I must say it looks great. I hit up almost everything, windshield, paint, seats and even my heatshields. pics to follow.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The Harley Gloss bottle notes it is a UV detailer. Doesn't list any kind of wax agents in its ingredients. I think it is essentially a mild cleaner, enabling a mild gloss (just right for a matte/denim finish) and protective agents to keep surfaces from fading. After two years of usage on the DX as recommended, it hasn't changed the denim paint at all... isn't any shinier or duller.

Just about right...
Nice pic:thumb

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got a 09 denim black xbones and have been eh sketchy on what to use. Thanks for the tips on here i will def try them out!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Excellent. It seems to deliver the right finish to the right surface. Yes... pics! Never tire of DX pics. Perhaps with the new cam?
Klink, Enjoy that badboy!

Still getting used to the new cam but heres one post Harley Gloss.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok all, help me out. I'm in the process of buying NRS and was wondering how you maintain the gloss strip on your bike when its surrounded by the Denim (or vic/versa if your vivid w/denim stripe). Do you wax the vivid portion. also, do you use the Harley product on all of the black, including the pipes and engine? if not what do you use? How much more work is it to keep the Denim looking good compared to regular paint?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I used it on everything including the heat shields. The only place I didnt use the Harley Gloss is on the motor. It may work there but I have heard others rave about S100 Engine Brightner. Great for the black parts too. My engine black parts are OK but could use a shot of this stuff. Click here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank EZE! bike def looks good! i might have to try the HD shine. How do you use it spray onto a cloth? or directly onto the bike? or is HD shine for a full water wash? sorry new with all the HD cleaning supplies. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Alright got some today EZE i will try it out and let you know how it turns out for me. Thanks again!

Oh and kick back and enjoy is all i can do right now. Western PA weather this time of year is having me put a ton of Imaginary miles on the bike :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
question. I've read on other post that some people believe the denim paint is easier to scratch and chip. Is this true?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I read that post too. Personally I don't believe that to be true. As a matter of fact the only fine scratches that I have are on the gloss black racing stripes. There are none that I know of on my denim paint. Others might have a different experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts