Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum but would like to know if anybody else had this problem. I have a 1974 Superglide FX. The other day after about a 10 mile ride I stopped to join up with some friends. When I started out to enter the highway I gave it some throttle to merge into traffic.
I heard a loud POP but after that everything seemed normal and it ran just fine. When I stopped about 30 miles down the road I noticed that my derby cover had blown right off. All 3 of the bolt were still there but my derby cover just broke away. Now this happen to me years ago with the same problem and I just can't figure out what caused it. If anybody could please help me with this I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Never had the cover disappear but my 2002 Road King almost lost one because of the many times I had it off the metal around the holes the bolts secure to had deteriorated to such a point the bolts could no longer hold the cover.
Every time you remove and replace those bolts you lose a little bit of metal on the derby cover until eventually the hole is as large as the bolt.

·
Retired citizen
24,517 Posts
Maybe a loose clutch hub nut or cracked hub taper, then the clutch rides out on the trans main shaft knocking the cover off.
I'm sure it isn't oil pressure, no pressure inside the primary cover.
Time to inspect the clutch assy.

·
Just Ride
3,887 Posts
Damn shovelheads. Time to take off the outer primary and investigate

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I got hit by one as he took off from behind a stalled vehicle just 2 weeks ago. I posted the story

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome from IL. hope you get that figured out let us know what you find

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe a loose clutch hub nut or cracked hub taper, then the clutch rides out on the trans main shaft knocking the cover off.
I'm sure it isn't oil pressure, no pressure inside the primary cover.
Time to inspect the clutch assy.
Thank you. After further inspection in the hole I can see that all three studs that hold the pressure plate on are a little smashed. Everything with the clutch assembly seems tight. It ran fine on the way home and I had no problem shifting. Not sure what would let it fly out so far that it hit the derby cover. I guess I will just have to buy a new clutch assembly.

·
Just Ride
3,887 Posts
Your clutch lever had to move when derby cover flew off. As stated above, clutch nut loosen. Belt or chain?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's chain drive. Primary chain seems to be good and snug. I'm not sure what clutch parts I will need. I didn't get time to take it apart yet. Everything in the clutch assembly seems to be tight and it shifted fine on the way home. I will update next weekend when I have time to tear it apart. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I had time today to tear it apart and check it out. I removed all of the clutch discs. I didn't remove the clutch basket because it was pressed on. I could see the clutch nut and the lock washer and all of the locking tabs were still bent up so the nut wouldn't back out. I then bent the tabs back out and tried to tighten the nut some more to see if it would get any tighter. I know the threads are left handed. The nut would not tighten anymore. I couldn't find anything loose in there at all. I just don't know how it could move outwards and hit the derby cover but it did. Now I'm really stumped!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts