Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Brian
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I tried to replace the derby cover on my 2010 Heritage but two of the T27 screws rounded off. I have already tried a screw extractor kit but I think the screws are a harder metal than the extractor so it won't bite in. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought about taking the primary cover off and trying to get the screws out from the back but I'm not sure that would work either.

·
Retired citizen
24,391 Posts
Drill the heads off. After the cover is off the rest of the screw can be removed with a pliers.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
When you do get that screw out you can do what I did yesterday if you want. I had one start to round off while tightening so I pulled them all out, went to Lowe's and bought stainless steel allen bolts, washers and lock washers. Just make sure the washers are small enough to fit in the recessed area. I used 1/4 20 allen bolts, #6 washers and 1/4 lock washers. Cost was about $12.00.

·
Retired citizen
24,391 Posts
Usually new derby covers come with new chrome screws.
Those derby cover screws have been a problem ever since Harley went to the 5 hole cover.
The 3 hole covers sucked because the cover would warp if the screws were over tightened and would then leak even with a new gasket.
FYI. The MoCo doesn't use lock tight or sealer on those screws from the factory ! They use pneumatic drivers pre-set to torque to install those screws. ! They use Torx because a torx driver has better bite on the screw head than a Phillips or Allen head screw. Less prone to striping.

·
Brian
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up using a screw extractor kit from Sears to get them out. One of the heads did come off so I used a hammer and a small screwdriver to start the broken shaft rotating out. I replaced the Torx bolts with Allen bolts and a lock washer. Worked like a champ and my new bad-a $$ derby cover is on and looks great. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Brian
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh by the way, the first extractor kit was awful and didn't work. It was one of those that have a small reverse threaded piece that goes in a drill. The second came from Sears and was a Craftsman 10 piece kit. It had drill bits to make a pilot hole and then what looks like a threaded punch. Drill out a small hole in the screw, set the punch with a hammer and turn out with an adjustable wrench. Thought this might help someone in the future.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
Good job! Patience and persistence is what usually prevails.

--

·
Registered
600 Posts
+1 for the Left hand drill bits. I use them on the job quite often works great.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
I chase threads in primary and clean threads on screws. Blue Loctite and proper torque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts