Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I could call the dealer or do some research on my own but, since I'm here, I thought I'd ask about a windshield for my new super glide.

First off, would I see that much difference on the highway with a windshield? I really like the look of my bike without one but most of the people I ride with have Heritages and say they wouldn't ride without a windshield.

On that note, I'm looking for a detachable windshield. The kind that has no hardware that's left behind when the windshield is off - it clamps on. That way I can easily go back and forth. A new one is over 300 bucks and I just don't know that I'd use it that often. But, it might be nice to have for longer road trips. I've been looking around (ebay) at used ones and it seems I could save some money. But, I want to be sure I get the right thing. So that leads me to my main question:

Did something change on the dyna's in 06 from earlier years? I know small changes are made from one year to the next. But, a friend of mine gave me his highway peg mounts from his 03 lowrider and they bolted right on my 07 just fine. It seems many of the things I see say they will fit dynas through 05 and those same things seem to fit sportsters as well. I'm assuming that maybe it's the fork size since that's where the windshields clamp on to the bike. Just wondering, in the case of a windshield, if I need to specifically look for something 06 and up or if anyone knows for sure that a detachable windshield that will fit thru 05 should also fit 06 and 07 as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The phork tube size did changes on the 06 Dynas, phrom 39mm to 49mm. Previous years quick detach windshields will not work with your 07.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My son had the clamp on type shield on his sporty. He loved it.
The only time it came off is when he was riding back and forth to work and just because he could not watch it there.

Big difference on the hiway with shield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HD's detachable windshields are the best engineered with regards to the mounting system. Takes all of 5 seconds to install or remove the shield and no mounting hardware remains on the bike. I'm not sure why we haven't seen this previously from other manufacturers.

That said, I've had HD's detachable windshields for my '06 FXDCI and now on my '07 Low Rider. While they do alleviate the windblast directly on my chest, they cause significant helmet buffeting. I've tried both the low profile and the standard size shields but at 5'6" and wearing a full face, using either shield gives me double vision and headaches at highway speeds. I know that there are other factors involved as well - wind coming up from the bottom, the helmet itself, my height and posture, etc. but at this point I'm no longer using the windshields. I've invested a LOT of time, energy and money into trying to fix this - time I'd rather spend riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey TowJam! Haven't I seen you on another HDF? :D

Welcome to this one.
Yep. I hang out on the hdforums and bmwst forums. (I swing both ways - BMW and Harley.) :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep. I hang out on the hdforums and bmwst forums. (I swing both ways - BMW and Harley.) :D
I remember. :D

Were you the one over there who was having problems with the mounts on the Quick detach windshield breaking? I thought I remembered a couple of people having that problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember. :D

Were you the one over there who was having problems with the mounts on the Quick detach windshield breaking? I thought I remembered a couple of people having that problem.
Yeah - there were several people posting about their QR windshields breaking off at highway speeds but I've never had that problem. (I'm willing to bet that those shields weren't properly assemble prior to putting them on the bike. The mounting system is very solid.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TowJam. I'm 6'4" myself so that's part of my concern. Will a windshield deflect enough air for me or will it instead throw the air from the front right up onto my head? I may try out a friends bike and see what it feels like first. Thanks for the reply.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
It is too bad that you are not closer. I have two different clamp on style--a sporty and the full size that you could try on the bike.

The sporty actually belongs to a friend and the full size went through an accident with me and has some scratches. It wouldn't be worth shipping but would make a good trial windshield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks TowJam. I'm 6'4" myself so that's part of my concern. Will a windshield deflect enough air for me or will it instead throw the air from the front right up onto my head? I may try out a friends bike and see what it feels like first. Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, there's no way to 100% know what effect a shield will have on you until you test it on your bike - there are just too many variables. Also, someone's tolerance for buffeting may be higher than someone else's. The smoothest bike I ever rode was my BMW R1200RT - it was like sitting in my living room at pretty much any speed. That's the bike I compare all others to when it comes to wind and weather protection and even the Ultra doesn't come close.

My recommendation would be to start out with the standard height windshield and be sure sure your dealer will let you return it if it doesn't work out. Fortunately, 5 minutes on the freeway will tell you everything you need to know. Most Harley dealers will let you do this. Of course, I didn't know this when I bought my first quick release shield. Which brings me to this....

....I paid a visit to my dealer today (check out my signature - they get woodies whenever I walk in the door) and they let me try out a standard height quick release shield. I had done this before - and in fact, my Dyna originally came with this shield before I traded it for the low profile shield. Anyway, I installed it, set it at the lowest possible position on the forks and took a 15 mile ride on LBJ freeway. It was pretty windy today and I was able to do a few miles at an illegal speed and what do you know? The buffeting was FAR less than with my lower profile shield. In fact, it was almost damn near tolerable. It was such an improvement I went ahead and bought it.

Good luck with your search - hopfully, you'll find something that works out for you without having to spend all time, effort and $$$ that I have.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bit the bullet and bought one the other day after my friend let me try his heritage with windshield. I definitely like it better down the highway but I can feel some buffering around the head. But the lack of pressure on my chest and shoulders is a nice trade-off. I never realized how much I was using my hands and arms to compensate until I put the windshield on. Much more relaxed even at highway speeds now. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts