Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Deuce headlight occasionally gets very bright for a short time, then drops back to normal brightness. I suspect a loose connection to the battery, but can't find one. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
A guess is that it could be your switch on the handlebar or your wireing that is becomming slightly disconnected somewhere.

I bought the small HD billett chrome headlight. Like the looks very much. Also have an "engine guard" with driving lights.

The results are lots of lights for safe daytime and nighttime. Looks cool in my opinion as well.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Sounds like a regulator is on it's way out. It *sounds* like.

You need to have the bike placed on meter and test the charge system. A stator with an issue can do the same thing....

It needs to be correctly diagnosed, not guessed at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It needs to be correctly diagnosed, not guessed at.
I do most of the non-internal engine work on my bikes. A wrench is like a Sherlock Holmes - gather a bit of info, have a guess,or a hypothesis. You work on the problem and then you have a diagnosis. It is still a guess.

If you replace the stator and the problem is resolved, you can say my theory is that the stator was on its way out.

You are correct in that the problem should be looked at by someone with sufficient experience to fix. If not the original poster, then someone else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With what you described sounds like it could be a voltage regulator problem. How long after you added the extra lights did this issue surface. If you only run with the headlight on w/o the passing lamps on do you still have the same problem. Have you added any other load to your electrical system besides those passing lamps?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would change the headlight bulb - it seems like an intermittent short between high and low beam filaments. What happens is when they short you are powering both filaments resulting in a brighter output. As the bulb heats up with the extra heat produced by both filaments the short disappears and the light output goes back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts