Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I noticed my Wide Glide was having trouble starting. Even with the choke on the bike would crank for a bit but eventually would be able to get it started. Throughout the day, noticed it was getting harder to start. By last night, headlights started to get dim and I noticed for a time the speedometer wasn't working, I also believe that the check engine light was on. Bike ran fine but at the last stop, could not get it started. Starter wouldn't even crank by that time. Was able to jump start it and it would idle for a bit but eventually shut off if you didn't give it a little throttle. Tried to ride it home after jump starting, but no power and sputtered down when I gave it gas. First glance the connections seemed ok however it doesn't seem like the correct battery that should be in there, as it would not fit right under the frame and in the battery box.

Does anyone think this would be the signs of a bad battery, or do I have bigger charging system issues? Going to pick up a new battery after work and see if that does the trick. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Charging problem,get out the manual and start testing.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What year is your bike? How old is the current battery? Have the battery load tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is your bike? How old is the current battery? Have the battery load tested.
It's a 2001. I bought it about two months ago, and the guy I bought it from said he replaced the battery I believe this year, or maybe last (sat in his garage and didn't put many miles on it). When we pulled it out everyone thought that it wasn't the right size or type of battery it should have. The top cover of the battery box would always slide out as well.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It's a 2001. I bought it about two months ago, and the guy I bought it from said he replaced the battery I believe this year, or maybe last (sat in his garage and didn't put many miles on it). When we pulled it out everyone thought that it wasn't the right size or type of battery it should have. The top cover of the battery box would always slide out as well.
Is it a Lithium Ion battery . . . they are smaller in size.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Get a manual,3 screws on a dyna battery box. Cover will slide out when battery is not properly installed. Dimming lights would mean it's not charging. Probably replace stator and regulator. Test first. Google or YouTube will show you how.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a manual,3 screws on a dyna battery box. Cover will slide out when battery is not properly installed. Dimming lights would mean it's not charging. Probably replace stator and regulator. Test first. Google or YouTube will show you how.
Thanks. I replaced the battery and so far it's starting great and running normal, no dim lights or anything. You mentioned the battery cover sliding out - the top piece that slides on mine has always kind of vibrated or slides out a bit after riding for a while, but it doesn't seem like it affects the battery. Is this what you mean with the cover sliding off, or do you mean the big piece that goes around the battery? That part stays on fine, slides on and stays in. There were never any screws on my battery box when I bought it, thinking I should maybe get a new box?

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
The top. You still haven't mentioned that you have a manual. 3 bolts,2 you can access from the throttle side and 1 under the ignition switch. That 1 will bring the battery box up to squeeze the top cover to the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The top. You still haven't mentioned that you have a manual. 3 bolts,2 you can access from the throttle side and 1 under the ignition switch. That 1 will bring the battery box up to squeeze the top cover to the frame.
I purchased an electronic copy of the manual online yesterday. I will take a look at those bolts when I get off work, I appreciate your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts