Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out from my girlfriends this morning and the MAX train goes by right as you pull out onto the road. There is a train crossing with a gate and lights right as you pull out onto the road. When I pulled out the lights were flashing and the gate just started lowering. I let off the gas for a tenth of a milli-second and then though “Fug it” and pulled the throttle. I didn’t pull back or anything, actually I leaned forward a c-hair but the front wheel came off the ground for a second when I gunned it. I was committed and had to duck like a moron to clear the lowering gate and made it. I can’t believe I did that... and was sober too. The reason I’m telling this story is to admit I make poor choices sometimes even if I did just turn 50 last week. Key to the story… My 850 pound Electra Glide Ultra stripped down to a Street Glide lifted the front wheel off the ground. I’m proud but feel stupid.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Stupid, yes. However, it is moments like that which keep you humble and planted firmly on the ground, or in your case, one wheel on the ground.

I would find it hard to believe that any one of us has acted 100% responsible since riding a bike.

I am glad to hear that you are safe. Growing up with a step dad that was a railroad worker I am probably overly safe when it comes to trains.

I remember shifting into second under full throttle one time and the front wheel of my Road King coming up. It may have only been an inch, but it was unexpected so it felt like a mile.

Harleys rule!

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Glad your still here to tell the tale... I've done stupid myself, as an old biker once told me.. you only get so many stupid points, don't use em up because you never know how many you have... BTW do ya know an 03 CVO RK can hit 105 mph real fast??

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Glad your still here to tell the tale... I've done stupid myself, as an old biker once told me.. you only get so many stupid points, don't use em up because you never know how many you have... BTW do ya know an 03 CVO RK can hit 105 mph real fast??
Yes....I do....I remember quite clearly being behind you riding through central Illinois.

That was the one and only time my RK has ever been triple digits. It will most likely also be the last.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Yes....I do....I remember quite clearly being behind you riding through central Illinois.

That was the one and only time my RK has ever been triple digits. It will most likely also be the last.
Wasn't me.. thats my story and I'm stickin to it...:)

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a problem with the cummutter train, it comes about a minute after the gates go down, and I just didn't want to wait 2 minutes. I like that saying though, "you only get so many stupid points, don't use em up because you never know how many you have".
Words to live by.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Motorcycle riding...like life itself, continues to be a learning experience for all of us. Be careful out there.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I'm really glad you shared this. I did something real stupid the other day and was feeling kinda down about it....but hey misery loves company right!

I'd like to think that I am safe 100 percent of the time but sometimes the mind and the right hand don't always agree. Sucks but if you come out OK it is just another learning experience I suppose. Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Funny. Stupid but funny. My full factory dressed ultra limited pulled the front wheel off the ground, when i gunned the throttle in walmart parking lot crossing a speed bump.... +1 on stupid decisions,

·
Registered
505 Posts
when you whiskey throttle and the front wheel comes up its a big surprise indeed . riding my crotch rocket I do it a lot for fun at 80+ showing off for the younger boys. did it once with old lady on back of the ultra.by accident she was not happy lol

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First time I did a wheelie was on my Dyna at a bar. Trying to do my first burn out at the front door for the guys standing there. Ended up lifting the front off the ground by a foot for 20 feet, shot down the sidewalk and across the driveway alley. I turned and disapeared. The guys were amazed and cheering and bought me beers the next time in. I never did tell them it was and accident or that I had to pull over later, find a stick and clean out my shorts.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Thanks for sharing - nice to know others commit acts of impulsive stupidity too! I gunned it way late through a yellow light the other day with my wife on the back. It was red before we were 1/4 of the way through the intersection and around here when people get the green light it's Indy 500 time - fastest one off the line wins with no looking out to see if anyone's coming through late (and with all the Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, etc drivers around here who have money but don't know how to drive it gets ridiculous). "Idiot" I thought. My wife was not pleased. She's skittish enough about getting on the back and then I go and pull a dumba** move like that...

Anyway, glad you're safe and learned a lesson! And btw, say hey to Portland for me - lived up there for 3 years and miss it a lot.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Thanks for sharing - nice to know others commit acts of impulsive stupidity too! I gunned it way late through a yellow light the other day with my wife on the back. It was red before we were 1/4 of the way through the intersection and around here when people get the green light it's Indy 500 time - fastest one off the line wins with no looking out to see if anyone's coming through late (and with all the Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, etc drivers around here who have money but don't know how to drive it gets ridiculous). "Idiot" I thought. My wife was not pleased. She's skittish enough about getting on the back and then I go and pull a dumba** move like that...

Anyway, glad you're safe and learned a lesson! And btw, say hey to Portland for me - lived up there for 3 years and miss it a lot.

As long as it's impulsive and not compulsive I wouldn't be too worried. :D

-Rohan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts