Harley Davidson Forums banner

How do you rate your braking system(include your bike in your post)

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work mainly in FL’s (getting older). Our only business is frame alignment (crash or set-up), suspension and braking products.

Here is a little information for a rather cheap brake upgrade. I rather stop before hitting something hard. The object of this game.
How to get better brakes on your FL.​

I will address Dyna, Sortail, and my beloved FXR on the bottom of this post.

Here is the deal:
I only use 2 brake rotors/calipers up front.
I use a FL style hubs that is 6.32” wide for this application. 6.32" is a stock measurement (at least 2000 to current 2008 & maybe more years).
All the lower legs (in the years outlined) are the same as far as brake mounting issues goes, I believe the only modifications might be the axle (3/4" & 1") mounting (for switching year lowers 2000 & 2001) but I am not 100% sure.
You will need 300mm rotors if you do not want to use an adapter. 300mm rotors are available from many vender's such as HD and others. I recommend a full floating rotor, not the ones HD sells, they are not floating rotors but a cheap 2 piece rotor with no movement made in China.

Lets get started:
You have a FL & you would like to stop much faster. Your bike is 2000 & up (other years also can benefit). You do not want to spend a lot of money.

Locate a set of Brembo V-Rod or 2008 Brembo FL calipers. They are one and the same! I do not know what it takes to get a Brembo V-Rod or 2008 FL rear caliper to work, I do not have one.
I see them on e-Bay right now for $129/pair. I have also seen 15 pair go for $35/each caliper. Get them however you wish, I do not sell them.

The calipers are direct bolt up providing you are using the 300mm rotors.
Buy Lyndall pads of your choice (Gold, Z+, or Red ( red for MMC rotors only) as they are the best brake pad in the world for a HD.
If you wish to go with a larger rotor, such as 320mm or 13”, you will have to use adapters. I do not know if you need to use a 2008 master cylinder for this application but I will find out. I think 11/16” (stock FL M/C) will work.

For:
Dyna: You need the triple tree spacing of the Wideglide 41mm fork tubes. You need to purchase the 2nd lower if you bike does not have duel disk brakes up forward for the caliper mounting bracket.
You than need a FL hub/wheel.
You can lace a different size wheel up to a FL hub if so wanted such as 17”, 18”, or 21” (not recommended).
The 2006 & above have 49mm stanchion tubes and I do not know it there is a right side lower fork tube to lug mount the second caliper to.
Change fender if needed.

FXR: same as the Dyna.

Softail: You need the triple tree spacing of the Wideglide 41mm fork tubes. In this case, I believe you need to purchase both lowers off of a FL. The stanchion tubes are 41mm, same as a FL. Than follow the instructions for the Dyna.

There you have it. Be resourceful and safe out there. If there is any questions I can help you with in your fabrication project do not hesitate to ask. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, EST. My toll free # is 1-866-899-5962. >Howard.

For other free cool stuff or information, please look under the Do-It-Yourself section on my website.

Attachments

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
Road king = bad
v-rod = good

I am going to do your project to my road king.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just did some ~ works great!

Road king = bad
v-rod = good

I am going to do your project to my road king.
Did it on a few Glides, works great. We use lighter weight full floater rotors (300mm) & sintered Ferodo pads. Stops in anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts