Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me for what may be a stupid question. I have been to the HD web sites and looked at the different models.

What are the differences between the Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide and Electra glide? Except for a few cosmetic add-ons such as fairings and different fenders, I truly cannot determine the differences between the models.

Please don't just give me a link to the HD web site - I would appreciate some discussion about the differences.

Regards,

Kim "easily confused" Nicholas

· Registered
20 Posts
They are the same frame, except for trim, the rglide fairing is mounted to frame, the other fairing bikes are mounted to forks, the rk has no fairing, most come with detachable windshield. The streetglide is lower than the other touring bikes from the factory.

· Registered
289 Posts
Having just asked that same question Monday when shopping, that about sums it up. Different passenger pegs, too, some have the floorboards. And some whitewalls... I sat on them all and even though I'm tall, I definitely preferred the lower street glide. I liked the mirrors built into the fairing, too, rather than handlebar mounted. The RG has duel headlamps. The RK has that big spotlight cluster, which can be added on to the SG for a hefty price.
I did see an EG that did not have the rear trunk. The standard maybe? The dealer said that bike was the most bang for the buck.

ETA: That standard may have been the bike with the brushed silver looking engine? As opposed to the black and chrome? So yeah, basically all cosmetic.

· Registered
15 Posts
Its all just add on features,the road glide has a frame mounted fairing which meens when you turn the bras turn the fairing stays put.The other bikes are all the same with different options,it just depends on what you want from here on out,to lower a bike takes about 45 mins to lower the back most 90% of people lower the back it just lowers it about 1/2-1 inch so you can raech the ground for us shorter people.But the Street glide is like a hot rod version of the electra glide classic,the classic is the best bang for you buck,But with all the after market companys out there and Harley them selves you can do just about anything at all.
My bike is a road king,with a after market fairing which come on and off if i choose to run a fairing ,windshaild,or nothing at all,my tour pack is detachable also so I can run it or the back rest,I can run the fairing with nothing on the back and have a forsay street glide,a full dresser,a road king,what ever I chose that day.
I hope this helps

· Registered
41 Posts
I had exactly same problem when shopping for my new Hog. I went ahead and bought an Ultra Classic and had detach kit for tourpak and backrest swap or nothing as in the pic below, and if you like the lowered stance of the Street Glide it will cost you about $150 to lower the Ultra. To me, it was the answer if a person was planning on doing any long trips especially with a passenger. Then for short trips or around town just take off tourpak and you have a street glide or road king with a fairing.. !:thumb

One thing for sure, you won't go wrong with any of them, they're all awesome bikes, get the one you love the most..

· Registered
4,828 Posts
Like the guys said..depends what options ya like, fairing, windshields..There all the same bike, just "dressed" differently...I chose my King, cause my OLD man rides an Ultra:stir..all loaded up, I like the touring sport look...So it's up to ya & what you like, other than that the same bikes:thumb

· Registered
7 Posts
I had a 07 Road King Classic and I switched to the 2010 Street Glide. I LOVE my SG.

Is this your first bike? I found that the weight of the front fairing makes it a little more challenging to ride than my King but once moving man what a ride!

· Registered
59 Posts
......... gawd that's a pretty black Ultra up there /\ !!!

...... so, if the frames are all the same, why the difference in saddle tongues ?

· Banned
5,338 Posts
Another old thread. From last April (and the OP never came back. First and last post), then a couple of hits last month and here it is again. What's with the old threads?

· Registered
6 Posts
I had exactly same problem when shopping for my new Hog. I went ahead and bought an Ultra Classic and had detach kit for tourpak and backrest swap or nothing as in the pic below, and if you like the lowered stance of the Street Glide it will cost you about $150 to lower the Ultra. To me, it was the answer if a person was planning on doing any long trips especially with a passenger. Then for short trips or around town just take off tourpak and you have a street glide or road king with a fairing.. !:thumb

One thing for sure, you won't go wrong with any of them, they're all awesome bikes, get the one you love the most..

Love the Road Kings

· Registered
2,012 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.