Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running a mostly stock TC88 in my Road King. K&N Filter and "Wild Pig" Slip on's. Tuned using a TTS Master tune.
Everything was just fine. Nice sound no performance issues.
'
Then the SH*t hit the fan. I installed a 103" stroker kit and had it retuned. Bike ran fine except for lots of Deceleration popping. The best tuner (Arguably) on the east coast could not make the popping go away.
'
Some 40K miles later the engine came apart and I did a Long block replacement installing a 95" direct from Harley. Deceleration popping still exists and no manner of tuning will cure it.
'
Reading a thread in another forum and there was mention that different engine requires different pipes which I never heard of.
Is it possible the "Wild Pig" slip on's are just not compatible for any engine except the TC88? My guess is yes since everything else has been replaced a couple of times.
What do I do about this? Suggestions are appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Sounds like leaking exhaust gaskets. I would re-tighten the exhaust flange nuts. If the flanges tighten flush against the exhaust port then the gaskets aren't sealing.
Use the stock H-D tapered gaskets for the best seal. Re-tighten after a a couple rides.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Schmidtys. That was the first thing the tuner checked before Dyno'ing the bike. There were no leaks detected from the exhaust port to the tip of the slip ons.
'
The "Wild Pigs" do have baffles in them but you can see daylight right through the pipes. No impediments to exhaust flow.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
I was running 2008 Street Bob with Rush slipons 1'75 baffle and there is nothin what you can do with the popping ... It is not so anoing for me ...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Rustyg, Can you pull baffles out? If so try wrapping them with a good quality muffler packing. Quiets them down a bit and may help the popping adds a mall amount of back pressure ???? I use Vance & Hines wrap Good Luck

·
Registered
419 Posts
I remember one of the coolest sounds I ever heard was
back in the 80's when turbo charging came in big, in race
engines. The Formula race cars were going to turbo's back then
and the engines would pop and backfire when they were left-off
and when shifting gears. When a driver shifted gears, really quick,
you'd get that pop and the shift at the same time. I always thought it
sounded very cool.

Now on a street bike, I suppose it depends on the exhaust sound, how
much popping there is, and how loud. Some sound okay to me, so I
would just ride it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Things were going along just nicely, ie. No decel popping when I had the TC88. Once I upgraded the engine then POP POP POP etc. Just do not like it. It's embarrassing to say the least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts