Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a DK coil relocation kit for my 2006. It locates the coil vertically.

Now that I have moved my enrichener knob to the carb side, I'd like to rotate my coil 90 degress so it is horizontal, rather than vertical.

I prefer the symmetry of the wires that way.

I could cut and re-weld the bracket if needed, but I thought I would check to see if anyone else has done this and might have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say it rotates it vertically; what do you mean? Are the plug wires coming out of the top or the side? I have the same relo kit and my wires comes out the top so it is symmetrical.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The current coil alignment is vertical (wires out the side). This was necessary on carb fed Sportys becasue the enrichner knob was located adjacent to the bracket for the coil.

Once I moved the knob to the other side of the bike, it left me with the room to move the coil 90 degress so the wires would come out the top or bottom, giving a more symmetrical appearance.

SInce the bracket for the coil is designed for the vertical alignment, I need to either re-engineer it (cut and weld), or replace it.

just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
you could get a spacer and a longer bolt. I'll take up close pictures of mine tonight and send your way. I have my coil with the wires going up from the top, on the side where the horn used to be. I put a spacer and a long bolt which moved the coil down just enough to leave the choke knob where it was originally located. Sorry it took a while to reply; been busy lately. I'll get some pics on here tonight.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Attached are 2 pictures of mine. One from the front, sorry the angle is a bit weird, the bike is sitting in the garage behind my car so it's hard to get to right now. The other is a side view. I just found 2 long spacers at a local hardware store and it bolted just perfectly. This allows me to leave everything where it was, i.e. the choke, and get the look I want. Much more simple than moving the choke to the other side of the bike. For less than $2, I'm quite pleased.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Attached are 2 pictures of mine. One from the front, sorry the angle is a bit weird, the bike is sitting in the garage behind my car so it's hard to get to right now. The other is a side view. I just found 2 long spacers at a local hardware store and it bolted just perfectly. This allows me to leave everything where it was, i.e. the choke, and get the look I want. Much more simple than moving the choke to the other side of the bike. For less than $2, I'm quite pleased.

I like... And priced just right

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job. My coil is a bit diiferent in the direction the mounting bolts go. I don't think I can do as clean a job as you did, so I am going to give it a bit more thought before starting to cut and paste.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I got you. You may reach out to DK. They are really knowledgeable and may have some ideas. I really enjoy working with them. In fast if you're looking to do a speedo relocation, call then and ask about the blemished items. My speedo relo I got from them and the only issue on it is there are couple grooves where they put the logo. I paid $45 for mine. Perfect fit and it doesn't vibrate; on a rigid sporty that's saying something about the quality for sure! Mine was the worst one they had but the others they had at the time were about $60. Still it's cheaper than paying full price. Plus the blemishes are on the bracket where you can't even see. Win win!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts