Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 4 patches and a few pins. I got them sewn onto a leather vest I bought. I got them sewn on by a local person. When I got the vest back, the placement of the patches was not where I would've wanted them to be. They explained that in order to put the patches where I'd wanted, they would've had to sew over the pockets. There are two pockets inside the vest and two outside the vest. Other than doing an iron on, their logic made perfect sense to me.

My question is, is there a type of leather vest made to have patches and pins up and down the front area? Does it have a name?

Since I only have 4 patches on, I am thinking I can take them off and place them on a different vest. I guess I can use the existing vest if I join an MC since more of the emphasis will be on the back and limited areas of the front.

Any thoughts on this matter are welcome.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,045 Posts
Rather than sew on the patches, get an adhesive and glue them on where you want them. No more problems with the pockets.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check around for a good leather shop. There are machines made that have an extended lower arm that can sew items on a pocket and still keep it useable. The lower arm goes in the pocket. I had one done at Daytona bike week last year. One of the vendors on US1 near the Iron Horse had one and did a patch for me.

·
Banned
71 Posts
A good leather shop will rip the bottom of the liner seam and sew your patches on, the blind stitch the liner seam back . :)

·
Poser Member # 99
18,215 Posts
Sounds like you need a person that has the right equipment and isn't lazy. I have a guy that been doing coat repairs and leather repairs and it looks professional and the pockets aren't sewn shut .
He also puts things were you want them . Good luck some guys are using shoe goo to glue there patch's on .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. All are great suggestions. I got two more patches, US flag and TX flag. They have not been placed yet but I'll probably do something soon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The lady that did mine split the seam when she sewed my gut rocker on that way the pocket was uneffected.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts