Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story:

The V-Rod is a great bike with lots of power, but some folks are never satisfied. They strap on all kinds of power adders, including a TURBO SYSTEM from Custom Performance. (Trask Turbo)

The Trask system is a nice, clean istallation, however the way it is plummed, the air filter interferes with the ignition on late style bikes. The exhaust interferes with the key on older style bikes.

Max came up with a rather ingenious idea: using a relay to run the power to the igntion. What happens is you remove the keyed ignition completely. You use the run/stop switch to power the bike. It works great. It relies on the Security system to keep your scoot safe.

The drawback, is that if someone was to flip your run/stop switch while you were out of eyeshot of your scoot, then the lights would go on, and you could run your battery down. You also lost the ability to use your accessory mode on the ignition. So for international bikes, there was no way to set the parking lights.

Dr. Heathenscum revised this schematic to use 2 relays, one for the ignition, and one for the accessory function. By using a remote mounted on off switch, you could easily choose to put the bike in accessory mode any time you want.

Enter Digital Guard Dawg.

Digital guard dawg makes relays with SMARTCHIP technology. In order for the relay to become active, you need to have a Radio Frequency Identification Tag (RFID Tag, aka Dawg Tag) within proximity in order for the relay to allow power to pass through it. This was originally designed to replace the STARTER RELAY. But, When utilized in this keyless igntion wiring harness, there is no way for anyone to run your battery down, or start your bike unless you are in proximity.

Digital Guard Dawg was pretty impressed with our little IDEA. In fact, they were so impressed, they decided to start making a complete solid state version of this product, which is now available for sale.

We have refined the product for the V-Rod, but have begun solutions for virtually ANY 3 wire ignition system. This includes ALL Harley Davidsons and Victory motorcycles.

If you are interested, please send an email to [email protected]

They will be coming to the online store at 1130cc.com VERY SOON.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Outstanding:dance

Oh wait, I've know about this for some time. Being I'm one of the schmucks who owns a UE tank and my ignition switch in mounted to the front head (another wonderful idea). I might be purchasing this soon!
Nice sales pitch RJ!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,808 Posts
Needless to say, I assume that the system has circuitry to prevent an on the road spurious shutdown
in the event that some background rf noise tricked the sensor into thinking the rfid chip was no longer in close proximity?

My wife's keyless Corvette would let a thief w/o the rfid key fob in his possession
steal the car if it was already running, but wouldn't let him restart it if he shut it down.

Funny story, I was riding shotgun, didn't have my key-fob with me,
she got out to go into a store for a quick pickup.
I figured I'd just wait in the car.
As soon as she was 20 feet away, the doors went 'thunk' and I was locked in.
Really! The door release buttons are purely electric switches, they went inert, dead.

I got a claustrophibic trapped feeling, she thought it was so funny she walked too close
while laughing at me and the proximity switch opened the doors again, then I find out
there is an emergency door latch release on the floor for this situation.

yuk yuk yuk very funny. :rofl: :bat

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Needless to say, I assume that the system has circuitry to prevent an on the road spurious shutdown
in the event that some background rf noise tricked the sensor into thinking the rfid chip was no longer in close proximity?

My wife's keyless Corvette would let a thief w/o the rfid key fob in his possession
steal the car if it was already running, but wouldn't let him restart it if he shut it down.

Funny story, I was riding shotgun, didn't have my key-fob with me,
she got out to go into a store for a quick pickup.
I figured I'd just wait in the car.
As soon as she was 20 feet away, the doors went 'thunk' and I was locked in.
Really! The door release buttons are purely electric switches, they went inert, dead.

I got a claustrophibic trapped feeling, she thought it was so funny she walked too close
while laughing at me and the proximity switch opened the doors again, then I find out
there is an emergency door latch release on the floor for this situation.

yuk yuk yuk very funny. :rofl: :bat
It's the same deal. When the bike is running, it will continue to run, until it is shut off. It takes 30 seconds to auto arm. At which time, you will get NO power to any of the bike systems. (The security alarm is wired directly from the battery, so it ALWAYS has power, and the DGD-KIM unit does not interfere with it.)

So, the RFID only has to be in proximity to allow the bike to start. Once the bike is active, it stays on until it is turned off.

RJ

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outstanding:dance

Oh wait, I've know about this for some time. Being I'm one of the schmucks who owns a UE tank and my ignition switch in mounted to the front head (another wonderful idea). I might be purchasing this soon!
Nice sales pitch RJ!
Bill, it's a nice addition to the UE setup, for anyone who has one. I have replaced 2 ignitions that went bad being mounted on the engine. It seems the tumblers don't like that much vibration.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yup! It is really one of the sweetest mods that I've done. It's funny to watch the dyno guy or one of your buddies look around trying to find the key while sitting on your bike!:rofl:

My car has one of those proximity doo hickey's. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. lol My fob has an actual key in it that you can pull out and use like a normal key in case either the fob or the vehicle battery goes dead. Does the Guard Dawg have the same thing?

Also, on my (and most) Harley's, you don't need to leave/have the key in the ignition to start it. Unless you've used the key to lock the ignition. I don't think I'd like to remove the switch from the console on my tank. It would force me to find something cool to replace it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car has one of those proximity doo hickey's. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. lol My fob has an actual key in it that you can pull out and use like a normal key in case either the fob or the vehicle battery goes dead. Does the Guard Dawg have the same thing?

Also, on my (and most) Harley's, you don't need to leave/have the key in the ignition to start it. Unless you've used the key to lock the ignition. I don't think I'd like to remove the switch from the console on my tank. It would force me to find something cool to replace it.
Digital Guard Dawg makes a replacement base that uses standard HD chrome doo-dads to dress up that area. No excuses ;)

If the Vehichle Battery Goes dead, an EFI bike won't start, period. There is a way to bypass the proximity alarm, if you need to. Just make sure you carry the phone number for DGD in your wallet, in that case so they can direct you over the phone.

RJ

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Digital Guard Dawg makes a replacement base that uses standard HD chrome doo-dads to dress up that area. No excuses ;)

If the Vehichle Battery Goes dead, an EFI bike won't start, period. There is a way to bypass the proximity alarm, if you need to. Just make sure you carry the phone number for DGD in your wallet, in that case so they can direct you over the phone.

RJ
True, but if the battery in the remote goes dead for some reason..then what?

I'd really like to see one of these units. I am interested, but am hesitant to do it sight unseen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, but if the battery in the remote goes dead for some reason..then what?

I'd really like to see one of these units. I am interested, but am hesitant to do it sight unseen.
You can either get a new battery, at any drugstore, or call DGD and they can get it done for you over the phone.

I understand your hesitation. It's quite a bit of scratch, site unseen.

Take a look at the 1130cc.com site and search for "keyless mod" and you'll find alot of folks who are quite satisfied with the setup.

RJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts