Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dilemma I have a new Ultra with only 100 miles on it. I am going to Thunder Beach in Panama City at the end of the month but with my schedule will not have 1000 miles before the ride up. Will only have about 500 miles when I am ready to leave. It will be about 800 mile round trip. So should I have the 1000 mile check up done in Panama City at a dealer I don't know or wait until I get home with 1200 or 1300 miles and have 1000 mile check up done at a dealer I do know?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
It is fine to do it when you get home. Enjoy the trip.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
You should be fine.

I admit that I am a bit extreme... I am changing the oil and filter in mine at the 500 mile mark just for the heck of it (peace of mind). So, if it was me, I would do an oil change before heading out... but you really can wait until your trip is over.

·
Super Moderator
4,346 Posts
I had mine done on the fly before, it doesn't take too long and you can make an appointment prior in most cases. I just did it for piece of mind.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I called the dealer and spoke to the service manager and the person who went over the warranty info and break in info. Both said it wouldn't be an issue to go over and I documented the conversations to cover my butt.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just doing the fluids early is no big deal if t makes yu feel better but the biggest part of the 1000 mile svc is all the adjustmemnts. If you have it done while your on the road your bike will sure ride noticebly better for the return trip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dealer did my 1000 mile at 500, even put Synthetic in it. Like all ready said you will know the difference afterward.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would either change now or wait till I got back. I bought a 13 in 12 and had 1300 miles on it when I was able. to get it in. No harm no fal.

If I knew then that I do now I would change it at 500 or so miles, and then run it like I stole it.

Staying within the recommended RPM limits set by the MOCO is painful

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats on your bike. You should be fine at a few hundred over. As someone mentioned before, there is a dealership in Panama City. Not sure of their reputation, your first service deal, but you can see if appointments are available while you are there. Might be something to do.

Draining the oil and changing the filter, tranny fluid and primary is cheap, simple and quick for you to do yourself as well. Service manual, the forum and very few tools can make it happen.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Will be fine to do after your trip. My dealership's philosophy is anytime within 1k miles before or 1k after the recommended maintenance mileage is okay.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I would call to schedule an appointment with your Service Dept. before you leave for your trip. Chances are, they currently have a waiting period of a few days or more before they can fit you into their schedule. By making an appointment in advance, you won't be waiting a few extra days to get you bike in for service.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I would call to schedule an appointment with your Service Dept. before you leave for your trip. Chances are, they currently have a waiting period of a few days or more before they can fit you into their schedule. By making an appointment in advance, you won't be waiting a few extra days to get you bike in for service.
That's a great idea . :thumbsup :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Should be fine. Just so you know, there isn't a dealer in P.C. or P.C. Beach. You have to ride further on 98 to Pensacola. There is an indy shop there in Panama City that I can recommend called Beach Hawg. Tripp is on point and he won't steer you wrong if you need help. Thunder Beach is a blast. Especially the September one. It gets bigger and bigger every year.

-Rohan

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Unless they closed recently;
Harley Davidson of Panama City Beach
Address: 14700 Panama City Beach Pkwy, Panama City Beach, FL 32413
Phone:(850) 334-0055
Hours: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Unless they closed recently;
Harley Davidson of Panama City Beach
Address: 14700 Panama City Beach Pkwy, Panama City Beach, FL 32413
Phone:(850) 334-0055
Hours: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm

Oh dannngggg!!! I stand corrected! Look at that beauty! Brand spankin new too!

-Rohan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts