Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone soon I will be getting my rear fender and gas tank painted. I have decided that I want to for sure paint my rear fender black but have no clue what to do with the tank. The tank is dished so I personally think painting it all one color will look bad I think the tank is begging for some sort of two-tone paint. I was thinking of doing the tank black and the dished portion some sort of metallic gray or silver but I’m not sure if this will be too bland. When it comes to my style I usually think less is more and like simple clean looks but I may be tempted to try something different on this one. Also wouldn’t mind having “Harley Davidson” printed on the dish part of the tank in maybe a nice cursive but the problem with writing is the tank is so angled the writing would need to be also.

For the rear fender I am for sure with the black because I will also be switching my license plate to the “California Legacy” Black/Yellow style plate you see on most older muscle cars and 60’s era motorcycles which I think will look great and give the bike a classic look. I just really need help with the tank.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

This is what the legacy plate looks like:

Here are some pictures of my bike in the state it’s in right now, maybe somebody can Photoshop it if they want?

Here are examples of other bikes with dished tanks that I like:

Here are examples of other bikes with dished tanks that I don’t like (the solid paint doesn’t look good imo)

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Old school lace pattern on the insert.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
If you are a minimalist. Then an opposing shade, satin, flat, black in the inserts.
Maybe the lace or lettering in another opposing shade over that.
Enough to catch someones eye. But they would have to stop and look to really see it.

T~S`s paint is in candy with ghost true life lightning and and a skull on the bobbed rear fender.
From a little distance looks gloss black with a hint of red. The closer you look in good light or sunlight it all pops out at you.

Saw a video on easily painting the old style Camaro wide racing stripes on a car.
Do not recall if they were done in flat or satin. But were the same color as the car. Looked pretty damn good I thought.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
denim orange with candy purple in the dish and striped on fenders- a little gold leaf in the dish
been wanting to do one like that for a few years

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
I think that looks really cool actually, can I get more info on this or more pictures of something similar? That might be something I truly consider!
Old school technique from the 60's.

You would spray the insert silver, use some low tack spray glue to glue lace over the dished section as a stencil, then spray your black on top of that and peel away the lace when you get the desired color.

After that, you can use some candies to tint the pattern.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm going to say do the lace on the insert. It's a sick technique that only looks good on certain styles of tanks; such as the dished tank. Please tell me you are going to chop the rear fender right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts