Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other postsbut they all seemed pretty old. Picked up this 2007 RKC with only 4700 miles on it and it had Van e and Hines High Output slip on mounted on a otherwise stock motor. Not very impressive to say the least. The decel popping was stupid bad. I had always wondered about the anti reversion therory and fix from DK Customs torque inserts to stop the reversion that DK says is causing the issue especially on big diameter pipes.
Ordered a set and I can say 99% of the po Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Rim
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Motor vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
pping is gone and the sound went from ridiculous to a nice rumble. The idlesettled down too. Ilike the look of these big dia pipes. I think I will keep them now
PS it did require some "engineering" to get the to fit but only took a couple of hours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some that love that decel popping and wouldn't have it any other way. Just like the truckers going thru town at 3 in the morning laying on the Jake brake, echoes between the buildings real sweet !
This was too much pipe for the bike sound. It is still loud but lower in tone and the popping is very subtle. Much better ide and just sounds better going down the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the part number for the ones you bought? I took those pipes off my CVO because I couldn't hear myself think but I liked the tone. I tuned out the deceleration popping that I first had but went back to the stock CVO pipes that I modified instead. I may try those again if these are cheaper than the actual baffles from V&H.
Iris Font Circle Eyelash Audio equipment

They didnt fit without Some work but i was able to fit them right in the middle. The studcsize is 5/16 x 18 thread. I used to couplers and I found that a 1-1/4" stainless bolts with washer, and lock wash then cut back the insert studs until the bolt and the studs are adjustable to stage ghe insert right in the middle then lock the bolt and lock wS down on the outside. Looks good. There are 2 screw locations on the end of the muffler. I used the two pointing towards the middle at an angle. Drilled a 3/8s hole right through the epty screw hole. Might want to use red goo but I didn't because I wanted to be able to pull it apart. I got the measurements close enough to really tighten it down.
Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Rim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got into this subject on an exhaust thread a few months ago. It got ugly for awhile (FNG's) and led to some heavy reading that almost drove me back to drinking. The main thing I learned was that without a PhD and a machine shop, these are probably going to be the solution.
Like I was saying when I started the thread. I didn't like the massive popping everytime I let off the gas. Put these in and no more popping. If I get anything else out of it its like getting free beer's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Back in the day a washer was welded to a bolt and attached the same as the cone inserts (lollipops). Did the exact same thing for bottom end torque improvement. This works on jap bikes with gutted baffles just the same. Some people cant comprehend the difference in a race engine vs a street engine. Race engines go straight to WOT to the end of the track, stock, modified engines need to use as much of the available rpm band and gear ratios for street driving. A race engine would not be worth a shit on the street with stop lights, traffic and just dependability. Race engines are not built to go 100,000 miles, they are built to make it to the end of the track then get rebuilt after a few number of runs.
I agree. There are a lot of variables to consider beyond what "racers" do on a street machine that will rarely run at full throttle. Physics is not always user friendly. I used to teach physics and physics plays a large part in my current employment. Test and verify is the only answer. I felt DK documented their test and verify of this product with a healthy amount of dyno runs. Even then I do not preach the power numbers and kerp it to the reason I purchased the inserts. To control the decell popping and improve the sound. Which they did fantasticly. If I am getting more torque its a bonus. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts