Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a Bobber using an 86 Sporty donor bike and used the Sporty's speedo drive on the front wheel. The spacers and sleeve reducers that came with the DNA front brake were easy to figure out but the problem comes on the left side where the speedo drive is. The drive binds when torqued and the drive rotates with the wheel till it hits one of the bolts on the springer. It hasnt been a big problem till I noticed the axle nut, spacer ad drive had heated up on that side due to the friction when riding. That said, I have an idea what the prob is so can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?
I think the spacer between the bearings an the speedo drive may be just a hair too short, it seems to make contact but maybee when torqued down it binds cause that inner spacer is too short. When spaced correctly all spacers and bearings should be pressed togeather without binding the rotating wheel parts, corrects or am I way off base? Or can't I use the speedo drive off the sporty, the wheel is a 21" flage type spoke wheel.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you. There are definatly signs of friction, will get a new spacer and whittle it down till I have it right and make sure its torqued correctly. The DNA springer seams solid, as you said they are the least of the "quality" springers, so is there anything I should pay specific attention to other than not as good a fit and finish as some others?

Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts