Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 426 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems no matter what bike forum I'm on, bars are always being changed. Do they really make that much difference? When I ride for long distance, I get a stinger in my neck on the right side. Have had it for years from flipping the welding helmet down I suppose. Also get hand knumbness. No, it's not from death gripping.

Give me your opinions:
Did the swap help you with any aches or pains?
How did this affect bike control and cornering?
How is the long distance ride? 300 plus milers.
Was the cost worth it?
Did you just go taller or further away or closer also?
How much taller, closer, further worked for you?

Thanks fellas!
Mike

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
Both bars, grips and seat can make a huge difference. Maybe.....
Those are your two, three contact points with the bike.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I only added 1.75 inches on my BO dragbars and it made quite a bit of difference in the strain on my back and neck. I plan on gong with probably the CVO style bars next to get a more upright position. I think it makes a huge difference. It brought my bars up and back toward me by a few inches. Didn't notice any handling difference, but it's only a few inches. Cost me a total of less than $50. Well worth it.

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
I do the same with seats.
One way to get you close to the right height\positioning for your bars. Set on the bike in your normal riding posture. With your eyes closed reach out with your arms, hands in a loose fist.
Do not stretch. Stay loose. Where your arms\hands wind up will be pretty close to a good height and reach for you.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do the same with seats.
One way to get you close to the right height\positioning for your bars. Set on the bike in your normal riding posture. With your eyes closed reach out with your arms, hands in a loose fist.
Do not stretch. Stay loose. Where your arms\hands wind up will be pretty close to a good height and reach for you.
I'll give that a go come spring. She's all snuggled up right now. Thanks TS.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
The way to see if you could benefit from different handlebars is to sit comfortably on your motorcycle seat; close your eyes and extend your arms out in front of you in a relaxed fashion; slowly lower your arms and hands to a point that feels "right" for you. Open your eyes, if your hands are not resting on your grips, then you would benefit from a different bar position.

Note where your hands are in relation to your current grips: do your current bars need to be rolled back to you a little; do you need wider bars because your hands are outside of your current grips (or narrower?); do you need additional height (or lower?). Are your hands turned in/out more than what your current grips provide?

Handlebars are a very subjective thing and seldom is it the same for any two people. So, just to go with what someone else recommends doesn't guarantee that it will vastly improve your riding experience.

Changing the handlebars can greatly improve your riding experience. It can eliminate muscle fatigue in the neck, shoulders and back. Your arms should be relaxed with no tension. Numbness in the hands can be reduced with different grips, a better hand position and improved bushings that anchor the handlebars. Your steering should feel more natural/neutral, particularly if your current bars are working against your physical tendencies. These are the reasons for changing bars; making your riding more comfortable and pleasurable.

p.s. I see Thunder beat me to it. So what he said!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Thanks TS I need to try that too.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Even changing risers can make a difference , I've done both before and each resulted in a much more comfortable riding position.

As been mentioned you need to find what fit's you , one size fit's all doesn't apply here.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hmmm, haven't thought about trying that. Sounds like a pretty good method for determining bar position. :thumbsup

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
Hmmm, haven't thought about trying that. Sounds like a pretty good method for determining bar position. :thumbsup
Not an exact science. But it will get you close.
Having a friend around with a tape measure helps. While you hands are in position the height and pull-back can be roughly measured.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I used to get a terrible sharp pain between my shoulder blades on all day rides. That went away completely when I got apes.

It also increased the leverage and handling immensely.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Just a small difference can cause or relieve pain. I was lucky that just raising the angle (rotating in the clamps) of my stock Electra Glide bars made them just right for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The swap helped me with the aches and pains.
I have no problem running long distance; I have been told by my buddies I ride with,"you look like your sitting in your recliner "
I did it myself, so the cost was affordable
I went with bring my bars closer; stayed with HD equipment.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Don't listen to robidogHD, he don't know sh!$. lol. No he's right. He helped me with some 2" pull backs on my RK Classic. Love them, more comfortable, hands don't go to sleep on long rides and easier on back and shoulders. Plus great time just working on bike with a couple of buddies having a cold one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 426 Posts