Harley Davidson Forums banner

Do I need a race tuner or not? Have SE heavy breather and 2into1 big Radius

9K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Toddah 
#1 ·
hows everyone doing? I had a question for everyone. I don't know if this is the right place for it. If it isn't please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I just purchased a 09 Fat Bob, rode it for 12 miles then I had back surgery and cant ride for 3 months. So I am getting ready for when I can ride. I just purchased the Vance and Hines big radius 2 into 1 and the Screamin Eagle heavy breather so far. My question is do I really have to get the computer set up and have it dynoed. I really don't want to, but I don't want it to hurt the engine. Does anyone really know if is that big of a deal not to get one? Please let me know. I will take any and all advice. Thanks.

#3 ·
Alright, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. But I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. I just hate spending all that money on this. I already spent a grand on just these 2 parts and now have to spend another 700 for the SERT and dyno. Oh well I guess. Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
The parts you put on are simply noise and bling, without the added fuel to make them function correctly. And yes....you'll harm the engine, because it's running ubber lean. Good luck with the back surgery. Heal up and go enjoy your new bike.

#6 ·
More air in and out, needs more fuel to match...

#7 ·
You got a sweet bike, some sweet upgrades, and all cost a pretty penny. Get a tuner, a dyno and get the most out of the bike. You will enjoy it a whole lot more and you won't damage your investment.

#9 ·
Well thanks again for all the input, I figured thats what I have to do. With this sert or PC-V, they can be remapped if I decide to do some other mods then with the engine? Does anyone recommend either one of those tuners? The dealer is telling me the cert is better cause its removable and it changes the ECM directly versus the PC. Just want to find out the real benefits of each. I have been to other forums where they talk about it sometimes. It seems like most are just personal preference. I was just hoping to hear from someone that has experience with both.
Hey thanks again for the input.

#11 ·
the cert is better cause its removable and it changes the ECM directly versus the PC. .
If you are going to keep the bike I would suggest investing into the Daytona Twin Tek ( I think it is called). It comes with two wide-band 02 sensors and allows you to change variables that the SERT and Super SERT wont due to Harley getting it's ass kicked by the EPA.

#10 ·
I was told by my mechanic at the dealership that the stock tuner on the 07 (I believe) and above will handle a pipe/air cleaner upgrade without needing a tuner or a map. He is a good mechanic and I believe him.

BUT- I would put a tuner on anyways to get your AFR down to 12 or so which you simply cannot do without it. Otherwise your engine is going to continue to run "Harley Hot".

#13 ·
So what you guys are saying is that I might not need to get a tuner that my bike might figure it out on its own?

Then the plug chop is me checking the plugs? If thats the case when I check them, if its lean then the plug will have some white at the tip? And if its rich I think it will be wet and have more of a wet look with a strong odor of gas?
(been overseas for a while so its been a while since I have worked on anything)

I do plan on getting a tuner and doing more engine work to it. I'm just doing the easy steps now while I'm broke and stuck at home. You guys have any other quick but cheaper ideals that I could do myself to get some more hp? Anyway thanks.

#17 ·
I was going to I just didn't know if I could wait a little bit. I to have an ol lady that likes to nag.So if spend 1 grand versus 2 right off the bat I get less nagging. But I got my secret little stash that I will have to get out I guess. I am also new to Harley, thats why I have been asking so many questions. I don't want to mess up my bike doing something stupid. It will be going in the shop this month.

#18 ·
I was told by my mechanic, yes. Most of the time on a HD (newer models) if you change something you will have to have it Dynoed, he said most other bikes can handle it, but the HD would run lean and can hurt the motor.
Mine was running to hot, so I had the tuner put in and now she runs perfect, not too lean not too rich. But I still have to get new pipes and will have to have it dynoed again. I'm looking for black pipes with chrome tip for a Streetglide...suggestions welcomed.

#19 ·
You could probably drag it out going pipes, then fuel manager, then breather. Fuel manager first would be preferable, but I'm sure you're wantin to dump those quiet stock pipes ASAP.

You could go for a little while with just the pipes, but I'd start worrying about blueing after a few hundred miles.

Or you could just drill out the stockers and get the tuner first.

I didn't do any of those kinds of mods on mine till after 1k service...but that's just me.

Making sure you're engine is running cool and efficiently is more important, but that's just my opinion.

:2cents:

#23 ·
I just installed V&H Big Radius 2into2 pipes a K&N and a new Power Commander 5 system on my o8 Fatboy, WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!!!!!!!! WoW.
I bought my PC5 from an online source that has a dyno they take to bike shows and I simply told them what I was bolting on and they maped the unit in their shop and sent it to me. The bike runs GREAT! seems to run cooler and the powerband is about a mile wide now.I am really happy I did this. The pipes are little louder than i had hoped but what the hell you only live once.
If you intend to move more air through the motor with pipes and filter systems then you DO NEED to get the injector pulses widened to allow for a richer mixture or long term you will have issues like holes in pistons or glazed cylinder walls and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.