Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 22 fxlrst. Got my oil change at 1.2k miles have 3200 on it now. These dipsticks and checking the oil are confusing the hell out of me. Not sure if I checked it right but I took it out for a ride. Let it idle upright for a minutes. Shut it off then put it on kickstand and checked.

Photo is what I got. Should I add some oil in it or is it good? Also anyone know if it's full synthetic. I assume its 20w-50.

· Registered
5,544 Posts
Have a 22 fxlrst. Got my oil change at 1.2k miles have 3200 on it now. These dipsticks and checking the oil are confusing the hell out of me. Not sure if I checked it right but I took it out for a ride. Let it idle upright for a minutes. Shut it off then put it on kickstand and checked.

Photo is what I got. Should I add some oil in it or is it good? Also anyone know if it's full synthetic. I assume its 20w-50.

You checked it correctly. The idea is you want the bike at full "Normal operating temp" before checking.
The photo you posted indicates it's near the "Add 1 full quart" mark. So technically, No you don't "need" to add oil now.

However, i prefer to keep the oil at the midpoint between full and add. So i would add a little less than 1/2 quart.
But, that's just my opinion.

What oil is in it?
Well that depends on where or who changed the oil.
If you had the service done at a HD stealership, they would have put the Screamin Eagle synthetic in.
At a indi shop, that would depend on the shop.

Either way you can service it up with either the Screamin Eagle or Mobile V-Twin 20-50.
By law the oils must be compatible to intermix.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You checked it correctly. The idea is you want the bike at full "Normal operating temp" before checking.
The photo you posted indicates it's near the "Add 1 full quart" mark. So technically, No you don't "need" to add oil now.

However, i prefer to keep the oil at the midpoint between full and add. So i would add a little less than 1/2 quart.
But, that's just my opinion.

What oil is in it?
Well that depends on where or who changed the oil.
If you had the service done at a HD stealership, they would have put the Screamin Eagle synthetic in.
At a indi shop, that would depend on the shop.

Either way you can service it up with either the Screamin Eagle or Mobile V-Twin 20-50.
By law the oils must be compatible to intermix.
Thanks man appreciate the response. The thing I don't get with this dipstick is there's no area that says add quart. So by the time you realize it it could be already to low. My old one had a space where it says add quart

· Registered
3,695 Posts
Dude....... trying NOT to be a dick, but your Dipstick actually says, "Add Quart" with and arrow pointing to the spot on the Dipstick where, when the oil line get's to that point, you're supposed to "Add Quart". Do you see what I'm talking about?

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

· Registered
5,544 Posts
That space is like a mm long?
That's plenty.
I have yet to add oil to either bike between oil changes. I service both bikes to the middle of the scale and have yet to see either one get even near the add mark. I change oil every 6K or spring / fall whichever comes first. I usually check the level about once per month.
The Ultra has 38K miles. The Sporty has 11.5K

· Registered
3,695 Posts
Take a look at the red lines on your picture below that I just added. The space between the two red lines, ALLEGEDLY equals 1 US Quart of oil. When you get to the bottom red line, add 1 quart and it SHOULD fill up to the top red line.

Automotive tire Computer keyboard Sleeve Gas Plant

· Registered
2004 fatboy, 2014 SGS and 2019 heritage
262 Posts
Dude....... trying NOT to be a dick, but your Dipstick actually says, "Add Quart" with and arrow pointing to the spot on the Dipstick where, when the oil line get's to that point, you're supposed to "Add Quart". Do you see what I'm talking about?
Man what a dick :cool: , just kidding, that was some funny crap right there.

· Registered
262 Posts
That space is like a mm long?
If you stand the bike up straight the oil level will be just above 1/2 on the stick, you don't want to run it to the full line, you will probably get oil blowing out everywhere, I know a guy that got third degree burns on the inside of his thigh from the hot oil after overfilling it, he was on his way to sturgis on the interstate, bad deal. I would leave it, just keep checking it at regular intervals, these bikes are not a wet sump, so if it appears low it isn't going to do damage like a wet sump will when the oil is low. if it is on the dip stick it is good.

· Registered
7 Posts
These M8 are better off running below the full mark. Carry over and blowing out off the breather will happen. I've been told it's best to run half way on dip stick (so in the area that reads quart).

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a look at the red lines on your picture below that I just added. The space between the two red lines, ALLEGEDLY equals 1 US Quart of oil. When you get to the bottom red line, add 1 quart and it SHOULD fill up to the top red line.

View attachment 817475
Now when I go to add the oil do I check the dipstick immediately after adding it to get accurate level or do I need to take it for a ride again and stuff. Just don't want to overfill it.

· Registered
5,544 Posts
Now when I go to add the oil do I check the dipstick immediately after adding it to get accurate level or do I need to take it for a ride again and stuff. Just don't want to overfill it.
Adding oil: The oil in the bike is already hot. (Obviously since you had to check it to know it needs more.)
So just add in the amount required. You can check the dipstick repeatedly and add a little at a time. No problem.

Refilling, when changing oil: Everything is cold. So put the new oil in, less the last quart. Then run the bike to normal operating temp. Now use the dipstick to determine how much of that last quart you want in there.

The whole point of getting the bike to temp and giving it a couple minutes to settle are:
1. Primarily to get any sumping pulled out of the crankcase. (some oil will leak into the crank and settle) The oil pump draws this oil out and sends it back to the reservoir.
2. The oil expands slightly as its heated. (minor but its there)

The couple minutes rest after running and before checking is to allow the oil to defoam. So you don't get false readings on the dipstick.

Reactions: MotoJockey

· Registered
262 Posts
Yes, always, always, always, take your bike for a ride, tell your wife/S.O. that you just put oil in your bike and need to take it out for several hours to check the oil........................................................................................JK, I agree with 1/2ton

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,838 Posts
Mine goes to about the T in quart when cold, all the way to the full line when hot.
Hot meaning after an hour or so riding, not just 15 minutes or so.

Let the oil settle a minute or so after shutting off the motor before checking.

· Registered
22 Posts

1ST OFF I BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER 60 YRS AND EVEN IF ANYBODY ELSE YELLS ABOUT MY RESPONSE YOU ASKED FOR OPINIONS SO HERES MINE YOU SHOULD CHECK OIL B4 YOU START IT TO MAKE SURE IT HAS SOME THEN YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO BRING IT UP TO OPERATING TEMPS THEM RECHECK YOU STATE YOU RAN FOR A FEW MINUTES THE WAY PICTURE SHOWS YOU NEED TO ADD OIL I WOULD OF ADDED 1/2 QUYART 1ST THEN RAN BIKE TILL HOT THEN CHECKED AGAIN ON KICKSTAND AND FILL TILL JUST B4 FULL LINE BIKE AINT REALLY BROKE IN FOR ANOTHER COUPLE THOUSAND MILES I WOULD DO THAT TILL YOU USED TO HOW MUCH OIL IF ANY BIKE USES NOW MATTER OF OIL I BEEN RUNNING AMSOIL SYNTHETIC IN ALL 3 HOLES SINCE THEY CAME OUT WITH IT GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE OH AND B4 ANYBODY HOLLARS BACK THIOS TIME ABOUT TYPING IN CAPS I DO THAT SO I CAN SEE THE LETTERS IAM AN OLD MAN / THANKS GRAMPS

1 - 20 of 51 Posts