Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently purchased (2 weeks ago) a 2003 Fat Boy Anniversary. It has 2700 miles. It looks better than new. Beautiful Orange Pearl paint and some extra chrome. Also been lowered. With only 2700 miles in 10 years, this thing has been doing some serious setting around. I would ass-u-me that the Harley dealership I purchased it from would insure that it is in perfect running condition. However, Sometimes when I start it it'll back fire, If I baby it, it runs fine, except for some back firing now and then. If I lay into it a little more it feels like the clutch is slipping or it's " floating " and just starts missing very noticeably. As far as I know the only changes to the engine are the Screamin Eagle exhaust. I have only run about 3 gallons of gas through it and added some Sea Foam gasoline addative. It came with no warranty so I opt'd for 2 years extended warranty which covers the running gear and electrical system. Not sure if it will cover cleaning of the carbs and not really sure if that's the problem. I'm going to take a look at the plugs today and change them regardless of how they look. Just wondering if taking the air cleaner off and spraying some carb cleaner into the carbs would help at all. Any thoughts on what the problem might be or any suggestions ? Thanks .. I appreciate your thoughts..

Attachments

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
First off, congrats on the scoot..nice ride. If it were me, I'd run some seafoam through it, couple of tanks, ride it like ya stole it. Then run a full tank premium through it. If it still runs like its starving, then mess with taking the carb down, you've probably got some old stuff sitting in the bowl. By all means change the plugs and what ever you feel needs to be done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, congrats on the scoot..nice ride. If it were me, I'd run some seafoam through it, couple of tanks, ride it like ya stole it. Then run a full tank premium through it. If it still runs like its starving, then mess with taking the carb down, you've probably got some old stuff sitting in the bowl. By all means change the plugs and what ever you feel needs to be done.
Yeah, as I stated in my post. I am running Seafoam in it now but have only run about 3 gallons since I bought it. I'll take your idea and wait a couple of weeks before getting serious about getting the carbs worked on.. good suggestion. Any suggestions on what kind of spark plugs I should put in it ? Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I would probably ride it all summer before I messed with it. I think you are correct that has sat around quite a bit. It may take a 100 gallons or so of new, clean fuel running through it, but it may clear up. The seafoam will help.

Worst case you take the carb off and swap the jets. It isn't that expensive and fairly easy to do.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
You only have 1 carb... not multiple carbs. I would clean it out real good with some seafoam and put some fresh gas in. Take the cleaner cover off and check the filter. As for spark plugs... use standard plugs that you can find from Autozone. Don't use the fancy ones. You are just wasting your money if you buy the expensive cool looking ones.

-Rohan

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . .Any suggestions on what kind of spark plugs I should put in it ? . . .
I used the basic H-D plugs every time I have changed them. I know they are rated correctly and won't mess with any of the antiknock functionality. Not to say that something else wouldn't work fine, but you only have to change them once every year or two and only have two buy two. So, I go buy them at the dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took the plugs out. Both plugs were dry had burn spots on the firing end the ceramic. Both of the threads had more oil on it than i would expect them to have. Not drenching but definitely present. I replaced the plugs with some Autolite 4164's gapped to .038 . From what I've read a lot of riders seem to have good luck with them and Auto Zone is like right across the street. $2.16 per plug. It seems to have solved most of the problem. I also looked at the air cleaner. Still pretty clean. No more back firing and seems to run a lot better. Still a little rough on the top end but I'll chalk that up to non use and some gunk in the carb. I'll continue to run the Seafoam through it and see how it goes. As stated, the worse case scenario it so remove the carb and clean it out. I had to go to the dealership anyway to get a license plate frame so I picked up some 10MM Orange Pukin Buzzard plug wires to top it off. They probably won't make much of a difference but they look pretty cool. Thanks so much for the advice everyone. If nothing else it gives me a lot of confidence knowing others, with a lot more knowledge than what I've got, are thinking the same way I am. At times that can be pretty scary. lol Thanks again.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Well, I took the plugs out. Both plugs were dry had burn spots on the firing end the ceramic. Both of the threads had more oil on it than i would expect them to have. Not drenching but definitely present. I replaced the plugs with some Autolite 4164's gapped to .038 . From what I've read a lot of riders seem to have good luck with them and Auto Zone is like right across the street. $2.16 per plug. It seems to have solved most of the problem. I also looked at the air cleaner. Still pretty clean. No more back firing and seems to run a lot better. Still a little rough on the top end but I'll chalk that up to non use and some gunk in the carb. I'll continue to run the Seafoam through it and see how it goes. As stated, the worse case scenario it so remove the carb and clean it out. I had to go to the dealership anyway to get a license plate frame so I picked up some 10MM Orange Pukin Buzzard plug wires to top it off. They probably won't make much of a difference but they look pretty cool. Thanks so much for the advice everyone. If nothing else it gives me a lot of confidence knowing others, with a lot more knowledge than what I've got, are thinking the same way I am. At times that can be pretty scary. lol Thanks again.
Hope it all works out for you!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Nice bike - On the cheap run a couple of tanks of gas with Seafoam in it through the bike. Put in two new plugs and spring for a set of plug wires. That will take care of what you describe about 80% of the time.

Keep in mind that the Seafoam that you added can cause the engine to run rough, especially if you added too much. If that does not do it, I'd have a mechanic take a look at the carburetor and the fuel filter.

Pete

I recently purchased (2 weeks ago) a 2003 Fat Boy Anniversary. It has 2700 miles. It looks better than new. Beautiful Orange Pearl paint and some extra chrome. Also been lowered. With only 2700 miles in 10 years, this thing has been doing some serious setting around. I would ass-u-me that the Harley dealership I purchased it from would insure that it is in perfect running condition. However, Sometimes when I start it it'll back fire, If I baby it, it runs fine, except for some back firing now and then. If I lay into it a little more it feels like the clutch is slipping or it's " floating " and just starts missing very noticeably. As far as I know the only changes to the engine are the Screamin Eagle exhaust. I have only run about 3 gallons of gas through it and added some Sea Foam gasoline addative. It came with no warranty so I opt'd for 2 years extended warranty which covers the running gear and electrical system. Not sure if it will cover cleaning of the carbs and not really sure if that's the problem. I'm going to take a look at the plugs today and change them regardless of how they look. Just wondering if taking the air cleaner off and spraying some carb cleaner into the carbs would help at all. Any thoughts on what the problem might be or any suggestions ? Thanks .. I appreciate your thoughts..

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Your dealer should fix this for you. Have you checked with them.Especially since it been such a short time since you purchased it. Engine is running gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice bike - On the cheap run a couple of tanks of gas with Seafoam in it through the bike. Put in two new plugs and spring for a set of plug wires. That will take care of what you describe about 80% of the time.

Keep in mind that the Seafoam that you added can cause the engine to run rough, especially if you added too much. If that does not do it, I'd have a mechanic take a look at the carburetor and the fuel filter.

Pete
Thanks for the advise Pete. That's exactly what I did and it seems to have cured about 80% of the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your dealer should fix this for you. Have you checked with them.Especially since it been such a short time since you purchased it. Engine is running gear.

Thanks Fritz. I seemed to have cured most of the problem with changing plugs, adding some 10MM plug wires. I'll continue to run some Seafoam through it and I'm sure it'll be just fine. I did ask the dealership if my warranty covered cleaning the carb and they said no. It's not that big of a deal. Doesn't look like that big of a job. I'm sure I could do it myself if it was necessary but, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem now. A few hundred miles on it and I feel it'll be running just like the new bike it is.. lol '03, 2700 miles when I got it. It's almost 2900 now. I'm diggin it.. Thanks again. .

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I know Pete said to check the fuel filter but the one I had on the petcock was letting some minor corrosion from my tank pass through. I added an additional inline filter, like 3 bucks, and it made an amazing improvement. Hope all the bugs have since worked out.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
If the bike sat around for a long time the pilot jet is probably plugged up. Replace the jet with a #48. The carb doesn't have to be removed, just the 4 float bowl screws.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the bike sat around for a long time the pilot jet is probably plugged up. Replace the jet with a #48. The carb doesn't have to be removed, just the 4 float bowl screws.
Hey Schmidtys. I really appreciate that advise.. I'll give it a try.. thanks again.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,151 Posts
Try going to the forum section and do a search in the Fuel systems sections. there some great stickys on carb rebuilds and the rejetting .
Congrats on the new bike she looks sharp and good luck on the running Issue

Welcome to the Forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts