by blocking off the "Y" pipe to the RH exhaust pipe....:think

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
On my 96 ultra,the rear head,the "Y" pipe out of the head do they
make a plug or a block the make the bike have true dual exhaust
by blocking off the "Y" pipe to the RH exhaust pipe....:think
I don't think so...

The best bet is to have someone weld a plug into it....

Who do you care though? From what I am told anyway, the crossover pipe actually adds a little performance...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thinking,cars do it by removing the "Y" pipe and they seem to run better,thought the bike might be the same.

·
Just Ride
3,200 Posts
You can pick up a soft plug from an engine block, tap it into place. Will actually hurt performance done that way.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks....maybe i'll leave it alone....

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Just thinking,cars do it by removing the "Y" pipe and they seem to run better,thought the bike might be the same.
Cars and bikes are generally different in this. For example, car people use true duals like you said for the nest power. Look at any drag motorcycle....betcha it has a 2-1

They just create the most power on Harleys for some reason.
That being said, again, a crossover is actually good on a Harley. Especially if you run drag pipes, if you work in a cross over you can regain some mid range torque.

I'm no engine expert though, just going off what I have heard.
Head over to NightRider.com for all of your Harley performance answers!!

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks....

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem,i'm kinda new to harleys only had mine for two years
and just love it.Some times i just look and stare and think,and that's
when things sometimes go down hill,that is why i ask and listen and thank god all you guys are out there to help us newbe's
thanks again....:nod

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
No problem,i'm kinda new to harleys only had mine for two years
and just love it.Some times i just look and stare and think,and that's
when things sometimes go down hill,that is why i ask and listen and thank god all you guys are out there to help us newbe's
thanks again....:nod
Been there done that!!!

Had my carb all the way off of the bike and then realized nothing was wrong with it. Learned so much though!!!

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of carbs,is mine adjustable..lean/rich mixture or do have to re-jet it.....seems like mine is maybe lean

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Yes it is. There is a small screw on the engine side of the Carb underneath it. It is the a/f screw adjustment at idle and lower rpm ranges. If tour bike is stock or may have the stock plug over it though. It has to be drilled out and then you can adjust the carb. Not too hard to do if you have some mechanical ability.

For major adjustments you will want to rejet.
Again, check out nightrider for carb info on setting up and stuff. Good site....

·
Registered
38,866 Posts
Cars and bikes are generally different in this. For example, car people use true duals like you said for the nest power. Look at any drag motorcycle....betcha it has a 2-1
Cars are the same, make more power with an X or H pipe. Each exhaust pulse is equalized between 2 mufflers..... half the restriction as being forced through 1 muffler, and double the noise reduction going through 2 mufflers vs 1.

Vance & Hines makes a nice looking touring exhaust with an X pipe.

Fullsac makes one as well.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Cars are the same, make more power with an X or H pipe. Each exhaust pulse is equalized between 2 mufflers..... half the restriction as being forced through 1 muffler, and double the noise reduction going through 2 mufflers vs 1.

Vance & Hines makes a nice looking touring exhaust with an X pipe.

Fullsac makes one as well.

Thank you kainam l. Like I said, not an engine expert. Just trying to help the guy!

Unsuccessfully....:(

·
Registered
38,866 Posts
I'm far from an expert. Just passing along some info I picked up along the way. :thumb

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I'm far from an expert. Just passing along some info I picked up along the way. :thumb
More of an expert than me!

Op, hillsidecycleco or one of the many engine guys on here should hopefully come around and give you some more info!

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Kman; If you look at the rear pipe from the left side of the bike, you will see that the left pipe comes off at a 90 degree angle. If the pipe is blocked off, the left pipe won't have a smooth flow. Just adding to the advice already given.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW....Thanks for all the info.... You guys are super!!!
Thats why i love this forum...and all of the Members:thumb

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
WOW....Thanks for all the info.... You guys are super!!!
Thats why i love this forum...and all of the Members:thumb
I can feel the love, man. But, you hardly know us! And, you haven't even bought us dinner.

Are you trying to get in the forum's pants?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts