Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get tired of fiddling around removing my rig and sticking it in a saddle bag. I park in a spot that gives me a little privacy and I take my seat cover towel and kinda hide me pulling off my rig and sticking it in my bag. After work, same thing to put it back on.

I got layed off once in a group layoff, they told us they were disolving the group, thanks for your services. Then they said they will take our badges and schedule a time in the next day or two for us to come back and get our personal affects from our desks. Right there, I got up and walked out, with the HR lady following me and telling me to stop and come back while I was walking to my desk. She grabbed my arm and I yanked it back and said get your hands off me as I was getting to my cube. A few people were looking and wondering what the hell was going on. I opened my desk drawer, pulled my phone out and my gun wrapped in a towel. She was saying she was going to call the police kinda loud while I walked back to the conferance room. she was still yammering when I told her, I'm not leaving my phone and gun here over night. She shut up and then said "gun?" I didn't answer and followed the group out the front door. Before I got on my bike I untucked my shirt put my rig on sat and rolled out. When I showed up 2 days later to get my other personal stuff, there was a cop there. He asked if I was carrying and I said yes. He asked for my permit and license looked them over and then asked the HR lady if she saw the gun. She said not until he put it on at his motorcycle. He said did he brandish it or menice anyone with it, She said no but it scared me when I saw him leave and put it on. Cop said he's legal to carry it. She asked if I'd leave it on the bike until I collect my things and leave, I said sure and did. They didn't have a no fire arms policy and nobody saw it in 3 years.
From there on out, I never took the gun inside to work with me.

What do some of you do in this case when you get to work?

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I carry at work unless I have to go on a military installation or some other prohibited place. In those cases, I will usually leave it locked in my desk. VA does have a law that says employers cannot ban the storage of a firearm in a vehicle in their parking lot, so if I had to I could leave it with the bike or cage...but I don't like to do that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The company I work for does not allow firearms in the building, but by state law, they cannot prohibit me from having it locked in my vehicle. I currently don't carry to work on the bike as I have no way to secure it. Need to look into some saddle bag locks. There's always a piece in my truck.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
That HR gal is typical these days....scared of you when she realized you had a gun. What a crock of total BS.
When I was teaching, guns were verboten on school property although ALL of us had a piece in the car (especially after Columbine). Since I retired, the law has been changed a bit such that I now have an endorsement to my CWL that allows me to carry inside of schools, bars, even places that specifically post a sign forbidding guns, and just about every other previously forbidden place except jails and court rooms. If I was still teaching, I'd probably have a piece in my desk if not strapped on me all day.
Strange that as a reserve deputy sheriff, I could openly carry in the same building that as a teacher, I risked being arrested and put under the jail if found carrying before that little sticker got affixed to the permit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I get tired of fiddling around removing my rig and sticking it in a saddle bag. I park in a spot that gives me a little privacy and I take my seat cover towel and kinda hide me pulling off my rig and sticking it in my bag. After work, same thing to put it back on.

I got layed off once in a group layoff, they told us they were disolving the group, thanks for your services. Then they said they will take our badges and schedule a time in the next day or two for us to come back and get our personal affects from our desks. Right there, I got up and walked out, with the HR lady following me and telling me to stop and come back while I was walking to my desk. She grabbed my arm and I yanked it back and said get your hands off me as I was getting to my cube. A few people were looking and wondering what the hell was going on. I opened my desk drawer, pulled my phone out and my gun wrapped in a towel. She was saying she was going to call the police kinda loud while I walked back to the conferance room. she was still yammering when I told her, I'm not leaving my phone and gun here over night. She shut up and then said "gun?" I didn't answer and followed the group out the front door. Before I got on my bike I untucked my shirt put my rig on sat and rolled out. When I showed up 2 days later to get my other personal stuff, there was a cop there. He asked if I was carrying and I said yes. He asked for my permit and license looked them over and then asked the HR lady if she saw the gun. She said not until he put it on at his motorcycle. He said did he brandish it or menice anyone with it, She said no but it scared me when I saw him leave and put it on. Cop said he's legal to carry it. She asked if I'd leave it on the bike until I collect my things and leave, I said sure and did. They didn't have a no fire arms policy and nobody saw it in 3 years.
From there on out, I never took the gun inside to work with me.

What do some of you do in this case when you get to work?
I bet that stupid b!t(h would be real appreciative if your scary gun stopped some looney from taking her life. I carry 90% of the time. When I'm in the shop I keep it in my tool box. My boss had a meeting and told the tow truck drivers his insurance would not allow them to carry in a company rig. He pulled me aside and told me I could do as I wanted just not let the other guys know. I don't think he trust them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I do, but then I also make the rules about such things where I work.

I know one of the girls in my office has a .380 in her purse and the concealed carry permit to go with it.

In Arkansas you were totally legal as the officer pointed out. The gun was never visible and there wasn't a sign at the entrance that concealed carry was not allowed. You mentioned they didn't have a firearms policy but even if they did, in Arkansas, you wouldn't have violated the law if there wasn't the sign at the entrance as required by state law.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I cannot, dont have permit but also the company i work with has a no fire arma policy. I know a few employees that carry and they all leave it in a lock box either in the saddle bag or in their vehicle.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
When I drive a tow truck in Florida, about 25 years ago. I was hauling a vehicle out of the woods at 3:00 am the officer that called us to tow the vehicle had to leave the scene before I had it out and secured. A few minutes later this irate drunk comes stumbling out of the bushes and starts yelling at me to drop his car. I held him off with a tire tool I had on the truck but it was tense there for a bit. The next morning I told the owner and he said it was fine to start carrying when we were on late night calls.

Now I drive a Bigrig, and I carry! We had a safety meeting a few weeks ago at a local restaurant and I carried there. The next day my dispatcher called me on it. I told him I had a permit and the restaurant did not have a "No gun" sign. He said no problem, just checking.

·
Super Moderator
12,529 Posts
Locked in my trunk every day. Concealed Carry Vest is perfect for the situation.

·
Banned
482 Posts
Guess this isn't fair. I carry all the time. But then I'm a rancher and my work is right here on the ranch. I open carry too.:D:D:D But just so you all don't yell too much, I do have to watch myself A LOT to not forget to put it away when I just jump in the truck and head for town. I wasn't even going to get a CCL but found out if I ever got caught I would never be able to get one. I've caught myself several times getting ready to get out of the truck in town and realize I'm still packin. Sorta sucks that you have to have a license to begin with. Bad guys don't.:D

·
Noel
7,367 Posts
When I do , I won't be able to carry at work, Federal Buildings are off limits.

I suppose I could secure it in the truck or on the bike, but not too comfortable with that idea.

I park my bike, in front of the day time lot attendant who is also biker my age who appreciates rides & Irons, he keeps a sharp eye on my bike, running off the riff raff when needed! Maybe I could leave a lock box inside his post, unless he's faced with a no arms policy while operating the parking lot (LOL)

·
Asylum Inmate
11,380 Posts
Carry at work, and all the time, except for the fed buildings with the signs. Ruger LCP 380; no one ever knows I have it for lots of years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I carry all of the time but I own my business which is a plus. I also manage an apartment complex in a not so perfect area of town so it is a definite plus there.
Springfield armory 1911RO .45 with crimson trace laser.

·
Señor Member
19,588 Posts
Guess this isn't fair. I carry all the time. But then I'm a rancher and my work is right here on the ranch. I open carry too.:D:D:D But just so you all don't yell too much, I do have to watch myself A LOT to not forget to put it away when I just jump in the truck and head for town. I wasn't even going to get a CCL but found out if I ever got caught I would never be able to get one. I've caught myself several times getting ready to get out of the truck in town and realize I'm still packin. Sorta sucks that you have to have a license to begin with. Bad guys don't.:D
Amen, cowboy, amen. Those last two sentences summarize my feelings on the abuse of the 2nd.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
it depends if the moose and bear are active or not, theres places i work where you could die at the chop-saw if yer not packin. ive never had to drop any critters, but ive run a few off. ive also had ta stay late waiting for a moose ta leave, didnt get out of there till 9ish. does that help ?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Pics of that vest, if you are willing please.

Ill put up pics of mine tomorrow, although I haven't used it, as I need chain extensions, cause I be too big for it. :laugh

I can't carry at work, but I usually carry everywhere else allowed by law.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts