Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have ridden enough with some one and respect their skills I will let them ride it in a heartbeat. What about you?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
While we are at it what do you think of the "rule" that you don't ask anyone to let you ride their motorcycle and you don't let anyone ride your motorcycle?
I've already broken the second part.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Rules? We don't need no stinking rules.

I have let a few people ride one of the other of my bikes.
If I do let somebody ride one,
it's MOST DEFINITELY because it's what I want.
and not because of what they want.

Sometimes I enjoy feeling benificent, for the right person.
Someone who is worthy, and will appreciate the treat.

It's different with family. Obviously.
If I'd give 'em a kidney, hard to make sense of being stingy with my bikes.

My younger son lives 200 yards down the road, since I have both V-Rod and LowRider,
I'd take him riding with me, or let him borrow either one whenever he wanted, if his wife would allow it.
My older son has a Yamaha R1, a very mean bike, 200hp and 400 lbs,
I'd let him ride with me, hoping to get him hooked on a bike that is less likely to...uh..
..to be on the afterburner much of the time. Might let him borrow one, for the same reason.
I'd worry, tho' Since he thinks he's master of a much meaner bike,
he might be a bit overconfident for my comfort.

I won't ride his bike. "A man's gotta know his limitations."

When I first got my LowRider, a guy at work who I guess thinks we're real
good buddies said real confidently, over-confidently, in fact..

"You're gonna let me ride it aren't you..?"
" NO ! "
He says "I've ridden Harleys before."

"..and maybe you'll get to ride one again someday,
but it isn't going to be this one!"

But then another guy, who I didn't even know all that well, but I knew he had
a nice Deuce he rode every day and took good care of, so I had some confidence in his skills,
When he seemed curious about me buying the V-Rod after knowing I had the LowRider,
I said try it and let him test drive the V. He went right out and bought one too.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I would let my good friends that I ride with ride my bike but I also don't think any of them would ever ask, just like I've never asked to ride theirs. I have told my brother to ride my bike but he won't do it because he's afraid he'll like it too much and he can't afford another bike :D I've rode his warrior and I'm sure he's right that he would like the V better.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
The motorcycling world is apparently full of them, even if they are called codes of conduct or respect.
I meant rules about what you can or should do with your own motorcycle.

And as far as asking to ride somebody else's motorcycle, I think that's just good common sense,
and for somebody to ask, especially somebody you hadn't offered, shows that
they don't have good common sense.

I am hesitant to let a friend who has only ridden an Ultra Classic try out my V-Rod, because of the dramatic difference in the bikes. I'd be less concerned to let him try ride the LowRider. Since I've never ridden a full dressed bike like his Ultra, I'd be a bit hesitant to try his bike too, just because of not being accustomed to the the difference in the weight

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
It depends on who's asking. If I know them to have the skills and are otherwise responsible (hey, you break it - you bought it!) then no problem.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KB, Good point. That is a rule that I make clear before hand as when I get on someone elses ride. Lil and natheng, Thats part of the reason I posted. I have heard this "rule" too and wanted to see if others abide by it. The beautiful thing about these rules are that you can choose to totaly ignore them or even change them because we are the freedom lovers who decide what is acceptable and whats not.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
KB, Good point. That is a rule that I make clear before hand as when I get on someone elses ride. Lil and natheng, Thats part of the reason I posted. I have heard this "rule" too and wanted to see if others abide by it. The beautiful thing about these rules are that you can choose to totaly ignore them or even change them because we are the freedom lovers who decide what is acceptable and whats not.
I'd never ask to ride another's motorcycle.
I have one person in mind, a gentleman with probably more than 100,000 miles on two wheels, who would like to ride mine one day. Other than concern about the God forbid something happens part, I cannot imagine why he should not get the opportunity.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
It depends on who's asking. If I know them to have the skills and are otherwise responsible (hey, you break it - you bought it!) then no problem.
I agree with KB here. I don't care if you ride my bike but the international unwritten rule applies...You break it you've bought it. I usually let other people ride my bike if we switch off. I don't like to ride other peoples bikes cause I'm afraid of the inevitable....

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I'm reluctant to toss the keys to my bike to someone else. Maybe I'm paranoid. Have done it before and there was no problem. Have also come across an accident where riders swapped bikes and one's unfamiliarity with the handling and braking of the bike led to a missed curve.

Oh I'll do it again, but rider, time, mood, bike, and roads will need to come together.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
3 people, and that's it. But, they've never asked and probably wont. Just like I'd never ask to ride theirs. One of them bought a new bike last year and offerred to let me ride it to try it out. I've never had a street bike accident and sure didn't want the first time to be on someone else's bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would be the same as loaning my wife to me. Just ain't go'na happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts